CMP 1911s are back up for purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that SN is mid-late war, like 44-45. A Colt slide without a SN would prob be correct. Earlier colts had a SN on the back of the slide.

What little research I’ve done has it sometime in ‘44.

Bob, dead spot on:

It shipped to Springfield between December 1 and December 11, 1944. No close hits after that.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, I am already anxious and I JUST sent my order in last week. It’ll probably be Christmas or later before I get a call. I’d like a service grade, but honestly I don’t care too much as long as I get one. Though a matching colt frame/slide is always the goal no matter the condition 🤣

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, hoping those are available when i get the call.

Ugh, I am already anxious and I JUST sent my order in last week. It’ll probably be Christmas or later before I get a call. I’d like a service grade, but honestly I don’t care too much as long as I get one. Though a matching colt frame/slide is always the goal no matter the condition 🤣

Honestly, a field or rack is probably your best bet to get a frame/slide from same mfg. Not saying it’s not possible in the service grade cause it is possible, but from what I’ve read and researched it’s your best shot to get a matched pair. Forget getting matching numbers. Those will wind up in the auction.

“Service” grades have all been reworked and are in condition that they could be issued and put “into service”. They used whatever serviceable parts were available when they went to the armorer. Including Israeli slides, Israeli barrels, etc, etc. I think it’s highly unlikely you’d get an Israeli slide in a field or rack, but again; it’s possible.

If I had my choice it would have been a Colt/Colt. Then a RR/Colt even before a RR/RR. That prancing pony is pretty damn cool, and he’s (I think) mostly found on the slide. However not all Colts have a pony.

I’ve learned a lot researching this pistol before and after ordering. Remington Rand made more 1911’s than Colt & Ithaca combined, so there is a bunch of them out there. RR also got some of Singer’s mfg equipment after their initial/only run of 500. RR was also not Remington Arms. RR made typewriters. By the end of the 2nd World War the RR was considered the finest 1911 in the field by most of those that had carried them. Manufactured on par with the Singer.

I’ve enjoyed researching these things as much or more than anything in recent memory. Still lots to learn, and I probably wouldn’t be comfortable buying one on the aftermarket without running it by (#’s & pics) someone that knows a heck of a lot more than me. Milsurps are caveat emptor, 1911’s more so than most.

I get the feeling some of these 1911’s sold as authentic bring backs are about as authentic as most of the Wells Fargo Coach guns. It would be pretty easy to be had by a well done forgery if you aren’t very familiar with this firearm.

Good luck to you guys though. I hope this winds up bringing y’all as much fun and enjoyment as it has brought to me.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, a field or rack is probably your best bet to get a frame/slide from same mfg. Not saying it’s not possible in the service grade cause it is possible, but from what I’ve read and researched it’s your best shot to get a matched pair. Forget getting matching numbers. Those will wind up in the auction.

“Service” grades have all been reworked and are in condition that they could be issued and put “into service”. They used whatever serviceable parts were available when they went to the armorer. Including Israeli slides, Israeli barrels, etc, etc. I think it’s highly unlikely you’d get an Israeli slide in a field or rack, but again; it’s possible.

If I had my choice it would have been a Colt/Colt. Then a RR/Colt even before a RR/RR. That prancing pony is pretty damn cool, and he’s (I think) mostly found on the slide. However not all Colts have a pony.

I’ve learned a lot researching this pistol before and after ordering. Remington Rand made more 1911’s than Colt & Ithaca combined, so there is a bunch of them out there. RR also got some of Singer’s mfg equipment after their initial/only run of 500. RR was also not Remington Arms. RR made typewriters. By the end of the 2nd World War the RR was considered the finest 1911 in the field by most of those that had carried them. Manufactured on par with the Singer.

I’ve enjoyed researching these things as much or more than anything in recent memory. Still lots to learn, and I probably wouldn’t be comfortable buying one on the aftermarket without running it by (#’s & pics) someone that knows a heck of a lot more than me. Milsurps are caveat emptor, 1911’s more so than most.

I get the feeling some of these 1911’s sold as authentic bring backs are about as authentic as most of the Wells Fargo Coach guns. It would be pretty easy to be had by a well done forgery if you aren’t very familiar with this firearm.

Good luck to you guys though. I hope this winds up bringing y’all as much fun and enjoyment as it has brought to me.
I’ve been checking the CMP forums and that’s kinda what I’ve seen too - field or rack for the best chance at a matching gun. Ultimately I’ll be happy with whatever I get, just having a piece of American history!

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my replacement slide for my service grade. Now it’s a colt/colt, rollmarks are faint but I’m thrilled.

Attachments

• 429CB1AC-CAB9-4409-AE18-96AC3F011F85.jpeg
    429CB1AC-CAB9-4409-AE18-96AC3F011F85.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my replacement slide for my service grade. Now it’s a colt/colt, rollmarks are faint but I’m thrilled.
That’s really nice. Congratulations on finding that slide.

I might try to find me a Colt slide as well.

Not sure how available parts are, but I think I might try to cabbage together a RR frame & a USGI barrel to go with my RR slide. We’ll see. I think I’ve contracted the fever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom