Coffee Bean Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of black rifle coffee companies snipers hide blend for an all day coffee and always drink a couple of cups of gun ship first thing in the morning. If you like a really strong coffee murdered out is really good as well. http://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/coffee-blends I buy the beans and grin them myself. Awesome coffee by a veteran owned company.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been ordering green beans from Sweet Maria's for a while now. Reliable vendor and reasonably priced. Using my (Current) trusty old thrift store hot air popcorn popper for the last 6 years. Have another ready for when this one dies. I roast a couple pounds a month, mostly by ear. If I'm messing with roasts, I'll use a shorter vs. longer extension cord and a IR thermometer to keep an eye on things. My standard for drip coffee it to stop just toward the end of the first crack. Over roasting kills the unique flavors.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/

One of my daughters found a flavor profile chart, so I could use cheesy BS descriptive terms to impress others. My favorite flavor is... Coffee.
CCC_Tasters_Wheel_LR.jpg

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each time I've ground coffee I compare the grinds to that of some I bought pre-ground from the roaster. Within the next couple days I should have the grind perfected.

It has been interesting to taste the differences that come about having a more coarse or a more fine grind, even with the same coffee.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each time I've ground coffee I compare the grinds to that of some I bought pre-ground from the roaster. Within the next couple days I should have the grind perfected.

It has been interesting to taste the differences that come about having a more coarse or a more fine grind, even with the same coffee.
Are you separating the fines and boulders?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Orphan Espresso makes a lower bearing upgrade kit for the Skerton. It's supposed to make the grind more consistent when set for a coarser grind.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Orphan Espresso makes a lower bearing upgrade kit for the Skerton. It's supposed to make the grind more consistent when set for a coarser grind.

I installed the upgrade kit but it didn't make a significant difference for me. I might be that I just didn't get it adjusted correctly. If you watch his video on that upgrade, it's a finicky installation and adjustment. I just keep the Skerton for power outage emergencies now.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I 'blend' our own. We mix 2 parts Folgers "Black Silk" with one part of Folgers "Chocolate Silk". We brew it in a Bunn Pour-over coffee maker, and serve it up with a touch of "Sugar in the Raw".

Simple, reasonable cost, and delicious.

Woody

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you separating the fines and boulders?

if you use a good grinder like this turn of the century enterprise immediately before you brew .. grind quality is still among the best to deliver distinctly better shots or coffee.

they are getting harder to find at affordable prices, but old enterprise grinders are still out there.

cf.collectorsweekly.com_stories_4xxxZiu6KBCTlKS1UHXJUg.jpg

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Topeca Coffee just east of downtown Tulsa has incredible coffee. You can buy it in Reasors or one of their two shops (in the Mayo or Regency hotels) but they sell their freshly roasted at their place on Admiral. Great stuff!

Latest posts

Top Bottom