College Grad Not Liking the 40hr Work Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The 401K vs pension retirement programs pretty much fixed that issue. They can fire you but your 401K isn't affected. It just moves along to the next job unless you want to keep it at the past employer. It has to meet a certain threshold of $$ amount to do that though.
When I left one employer, I met that threshold. They paid for all stock transactions, so I day traded it for years without working for them, making one hell of a profit in the process while building another 401K in the company I went to.
I do agree about companies not rewarding dedication and long service. One of my co-workers retired with three years of sick leave built up that he gave back to the company. His greatest disappointment at his retirement ceremony when he got a couple hundred bucks of trinkets and a handshake was that they didn't acknowledge his three years of sick leave. He retired three years before me. I left them zero in sick leave when there was a year on the books.
I retired with 3000 hours of unused sick leave. It was credited as service time so it earned me about 3% of my salary for the rest of my life.
I supervised and managed for over 27 years and saw all kinds of work ethic. Some would do their best without a supervisor at all and others spent more effort to avoid work than it would take just to do the job. Those who do bare minimum work, screw off on the internet instead of working, and extend every possible absence they can to avoid returning to work piss me off. They all wanted the pay and benefits when they applied for the job. They should have the integrity to do the job or resign. I realize that's not a popular opinion in today's workplace and I'm glad I'm out of it. Anyone who intentionally does the bare minimum in work or life is a loser.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, the 8 hour day and the same pay labor reform hasn’t completely caught on.

There’s a lot of disparity between what constitutes work for different occupations. I have a “retired” friend that had a board position for an insurance company. He attends quarterly 2 day meetings and earns $24k/year to eat, drink, socialize, and listen to a report. He also earns 6 figures for his other post-retirement job which is about 20 hours a month. He basically joins a few conference calls a week, then sends out a few emails afterward.

Most people I know are just trying to make ends meet and for some of those people working only 40 hours a week and having only one job, won’t cut it.

Personally, I can’t judge someone based upon how many hours they work in a week.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired with 3000 hours of unused sick leave. It was credited as service time so it earned me about 3% of my salary for the rest of my life.
I supervised and managed for over 27 years and saw all kinds of work ethic. Some would do their best without a supervisor at all and others spent more effort to avoid work than it would take just to do the job. Those who do bare minimum work, screw off on the internet instead of working, and extend every possible absence they can to avoid returning to work piss me off. They all wanted the pay and benefits when they applied for the job. They should have the integrity to do the job or resign. I realize that's not a popular opinion in today's workplace and I'm glad I'm out of it. Anyone who intentionally does the bare minimum in work or life is a loser.

Subtle Peggy is not subtle lol....

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work ethic is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. So is integrity.
You can place a lot of blame on the companies for that,,,
Somewhere in the late 70's and thereafter,,,
Companies started losing their integrity.

My uncle worked for a company that promised a pension after 30 years,,,
22 years into that employment he was "laid off" for no reason,,,
Along with more than 50 other employees.

They sued the company and eventually made some lawyers rich,,,
But they were all 50 year old people with no prospects,,,
My uncle lost the lifestyle he had worked hard for.

Companies have no loyalty to their employees anymore,,,
So in reality, why should employees show "loyalty"?

That old saw of "Work hard and ye shall be rewarded.",,,
Is as false as the day is long.

I retired after 16.5 years from a decent job at OSU,,,
I survived all of the Covid madness layoffs,,,
Not by working harder than anyone else,,,
But by making myself indispensable.

Over the years I slowly gathered many parts of the job into my responsibilities,,,
I became the only person in my office who knew how to do those tasks,,,
So when it came time to eliminate a few personnel,,,
I got to keep my job until I retired.

Believe me though,,,
I did work my ass off for that College,,,
But I was looked at just as hard for release as anyone.

My good work ethic had nothing to do with me keeping my position,,,
It was my decade long strategy of becoming indispensable,,,
That's what kept me employed when others got laid off.

Aarond

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You can place a lot of blame on the companies for that,,,
Somewhere in the late 70's and thereafter,,,
Companies started losing their integrity.

My uncle worked for a company that promised a pension after 30 years,,,
22 years into that employment he was "laid off" for no reason,,,
Along with more than 50 other employees.

They sued the company and eventually made some lawyers rich,,,
But they were all 50 year old people with no prospects,,,
My uncle lost the lifestyle he had worked hard for.

Companies have no loyalty to their employees anymore,,,
So in reality, why should employees show "loyalty"?

That old saw of "Work hard and ye shall be rewarded.",,,
Is as false as the day is long.

I retired after 16.5 years from a decent job at OSU,,,
I survived all of the Covid madness layoffs,,,
Not by working harder than anyone else,,,
But by making myself indispensable.

Over the years I slowly gathered many parts of the job into my responsibilities,,,
I became the only person in my office who knew how to do those tasks,,,
So when it came time to eliminate a few personnel,,,
I got to keep my job until I retired.

Believe me though,,,
I did work my ass off for that College,,,
But I was looked at just as hard for release as anyone.

My good work ethic had nothing to do with me keeping my position,,,
It was my decade long strategy of becoming indispensable,,,
That's what kept me employed when others got laid off.

Aarond

So making yourself a person to be relied on wasn't a result of work ethic? Sure, some companies are like that. What's wrong with doing the job you were hired to do to the best of your ability?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some still some young ones out there that have an incredible work ethic. We have a nephew that has been detailing cars in his yard since 14 earning enough money to buy his own vehicle now that he is 16.
I can cite hundreds of other examples, but we only hear of the lazy ones that fail and publicly complain on social media.
There are a lot of us on this forum that interact with youth in one way or another than can back up that statement, I'm sure.
We will be fine down the road. There are tons of jobs out there that don't require a college indoctrination that pay wages just as high as a graduate in a lot of cases.
Even if the college graduate does finally exceed the blue collar wages, it will take years afterward before the college loans are paid off that offer a net loss to their "higher wages". I've seen examples of how long it takes if one starts as a skilled blue collar worker vs someone that spent $$$$$ getting a 4 year degree and not being in the workforce. The years it would take to make that up is quite a long time.
Yeah, work behind a desk may be more desirable to some vs working on a catwalk 500' on a smokestack in the middle of the night during a storm, but it's all relative.

Agreed. There's plenty of work ethic out there if you're in the right sectors. Covid made a dent in it from my experiences but to be honest, I've been pleasantly surprised. However, I work with mainly with industrial, O&G, construction, and transportation exposures.

Russ IT Guy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poor thing. She ain't gonna' make it.
That infuriating part is that most likely she will make it because everyone is in support of this generations mentality, this whole mentality that if you yell and make a fuss you will get your way has taken dominant control.

All you have to do is dress like a unicorn and hate America, you'll most likely get the same pay and title smh

Latest posts

Top Bottom