Colonoscopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm nearing 60 and have avoided the doctor and procedures for my age, been having some pain and the doc set me up with a colonoscopy, BUTT, I likely need not say I don't want my butt probed it's a 1 way street that is outbound.. Anyone have some tails, to share in regards to the procedure ? After reading this link I'm likely going to cancel for the second time, the 1st being about 10 years ago..
http://dailynaturalremedies.com/10-facts-you-need-to-know-about-a-colonoscopy/

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Get it done!! Couple hours of discomfort is worth it . Millions of these are performed every day with no issues!! Not doing it because of what your read in that article is taking a chance with your well being because of what ifs!!
What if you walk out the house and get hit by lightening!! Cant live your life like that.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I had my second one today. For me the worst part is the IV connection as I hate needles. Yes, the prep is annoying and you'll go through a whole roll of toilet paper but it's not that big of a deal.
Seriously though, colon cancer sucks. If regularly screened by a colonoscopy then it'll be something else other than colon cancer that gets you.
My first one found nothing, but today a 3mm polyp was found and removed. And I know I don't have colon cancer.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get it done - I lost a friend that had colon cancer spread to his liver. As others have said, the prep is the worst part. I actually wanted to be "awake" during the procedure and asked for no anesthesia. It was a little uncomfortable but interesting. The doc explained what he was doing and looking for while we both watched the monitor in real-time. The camera / probe exit was a little disconcerting - felt like I dropped a turd on the table :) The doc told me everything looked good and I don't need another test until 10 years.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. The prep for this one was no worse than having had the runs from a bad burrito a time or two so don't worry about it. We all make funnies about it, but man, my first time a few years ago, they cut 21 polyps out of me and today, there was only 1! When they put the IV in was not that bad for me this time either. (Oh the nurse doing it mumbled something about a small prick, which kinda hurt my feelings and all, but I wasn't there for that.) Anyway, after I got done sniffling, and they had me lying on my side with my knees bent and pulled up, the Doc said "Ready?", I said, "Yes, will the sedation medicine take long to take effect?" He just began to push the plunger and started to say something, i think it was maybe "good ni..." and ...Whap! It was lights out! LOL! Next thing I knew, I was waking up in a recliner drinking orange juice and eating a graham cracker. My arse end doesn't even hurt now, my diet is back to normal, and I don't have any issues in my innards like colon cancer to worry about. Now to deal with that other issue that the darn IV nurses always have to bring up...

Go get it done. This takes just a short period of time. If they give you this Nurse named Wilamina , just be careful about that gown they make you wear. I think she's a man-hater...

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had it done twice...no pain...no embarrassment. As mentioned above, drinking the "flush out" liquid (lemon lime flavor and lots of it), not eating for the day before and giving your self an enema are the most difficult parts.....your apprehension is not needed.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it twice, I was put under; count backwards from 100 and I made it to 97 then woke up in the recovery area.
Like they say, the prep is the worst part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom