Colonoscopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quit being a baby and get it done...

You will be knocked out, wont even know they did it.

While you are at it get your prostate checked, and your PSA as well. I'm going on 2 years of finding out I had Prostate cancer, had I not been checked, and taken action it could have been much worse by now.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get it done. I've had 2. The first time they took out 17 with the biggest the diameter of a nickel.
Second time they said everything was fine.
Drinking the gallon of soap water is the worst part.
You would think if they wanted more people to get the exam they would make that stuff taste better.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude.... I read quickly through those 10 things to know - whoever wrote that has a serious agenda and grossly GROSSLY misstating things.

Colonoscopy is THE best means to help prevent THE most preventable cancer we have. Cologuard is another option that is pretty good. Either way, talk to your doctor, don't believe that website. Seriously... that page is utterly ridiculous.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article linked is a hatchet job written by someone who does not even put their name on the article. The only info about the author is....
"ABOUT STAFF WRITER
Our staff writers have expertise in a wide variety of areas. Each article that they write is thoroughly researched."

I'm completely unimpressed.

Follow your doctor's advice, not the anonymous writing of someone hired by an online pub selling health food and the like.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, GET IT DONE!!!

Secondly, I've had two...first had a few polyps and the second none.

However, they tricked me on the first one. I went in and these two ladies are working on getting things hooked up and this good looking blonde keeps asking me questions.

The next thing I knew, this brunette was standing there asking me if I wanted a Dr. Pepper. (Wife was sitting nearby, so she probably told her what I liked.)

It was kind of unnerving, because I've always been one that wanted to be aware of everything going on around me. Shook me up to realize that I'd been out for however long it took.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't as bad as some make it out to be, the hunger is one of my big problems when I have had a colonoscopy and I've had 4-5 of them so far. They take you into the area where you're going to have the procedure and have you take off all your clothes and give you one of those gowns with no back. Then you crawl on a gurney and they put a needle in your arm with saline or some such liquid. Then when it's your turn (they do several patients in a given day) they wheel you into a room and ask you what they are going to do and then they have you sign a permit and administer Versed, Benedryl and other sedatives and you get sleepy and they tell you to roll on your side and pull your knee up and you're out by then and wake up next in recovery and in a state of hunger. They'll tell you not to drive or sign any important documents for 24 hours or so and release you but...someone has to drive you home so you'll have to have your wife or a friend do this. They tell you not to eat any solid foods for x# of hours but I always stop at Whataburger or go home and the wife has something ready for me to eat. They may also tell you they took out some polyps and have sent them to pathology and will give you the results later.
I almost forgot, some doctors will "push" a certain drug to cleanse you-one costs $50 with insurance and without insurance it is over $100 Clinpeq (sp)- Golytely costs about $8 and does the job just as well. No need to spend more money than you have to spend on the deal.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very timely!

Had my first yesterday. I'm 59.
Actually had both ends done at once.
Intake and exhaust.

Like you, I put it off too long.
But it's for your family as well. They probably like having you around.
I have a wife and 4 kids.

The early signs of colon cancer are no signs.
Think about that.
When you think something's up, it's too late.
Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

Really, the day before is the worst part.
Not eating, drinking that industrial strength laxative and a lake, twice of water.
Yep, you'll have the scours but it's part of the plan. Really not that bad.

Man, did I dread the drive to the hospital the day of.
My mind ran wild with visions of rods and hoses, KY and my nut sack hanging with my butt in the air.
Assistants laughing and pointing.
I mean, everything about this was going to be terrible.
I was wrong.

It went like this:

Check in.
Clothes off, gown on.
Lay on gurney.
IV in my hand (only discomfort I ever felt)
Roll into room with monitors and stuff.
Cuff and wires attached.
Lay on side.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
3 seconds later I wake up as they're rolling me out.
Get dressed.
Chat with doc over my wavey pink cave pics.
He said "see you in 10 yrs".

Absolutely nothing to it.
No evidence of misconduct below.
Your worst enemy is your mind.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a patient today tell me she was having a colonoscopy this weekend but was given the "Happy Colon Foods" kit? I had never heard of it before, apparently it's all the prep meds you need but in food form instead of the beverages... I'm curious to see how this goes for her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom