COLT .45's - WWII Matching Commemoratives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to say that I hardly ever like collector pieces. Ok I NEVER like collectors pieces. But man o man, I got a real chub looking at those pistols in the classifieds. I would have loved to have just seen them in person.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are they all in nickel?

The WWI set at Dongs is just as it came, as they weren't produced in nickel. The WWII set was produced in Nickel and the one I saw at OPS had all the original packaging, including the box they were sent to the original buyer in, with his name still on the box. I almost bought the WWII set as a family christmas gift for Dad that year.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The WWI set at Dongs is just as it came, as they weren't produced in nickel. The WWII set was produced in Nickel and the one I saw at OPS had all the original packaging, including the box they were sent to the original buyer in, with his name still on the box. I almost bought the WWII set as a family christmas gift for Dad that year.

You went from not knowing what this set was and putting it down as an impartial, nothing special WWI set to knowing all about them and 'almost' buying this set as a gift for your Dad all in the same thread?

Listen, this is an untouched, unracked COMPLETE WWII set from 1970, built on a series 70 Government with Factory polished nickel and factory engraving in the as-delivered packaging from 40 YEARS AGO - and to top it off they have THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER. Joe Canali from the historical department of Colt said that the COLT museum would be interested in them and that he did not know of any other set like them. They sold for $1400 each - that is comparable to a new Kimber...seems like a bargain to me (and also to a Collector that knows more than me about Colt's, and obviously more than you)...

Please, put down the "know-it-all" bottle and step away from the computer - it's embarrasing.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for selling these. I have been on the point of calling about them for days now, and am relieved that my compulsion has no outlet. Didn't need them, just wanted them. Money stays where it is, and I'll get over the pain of wanting. . . CB

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You went from not knowing what this set was and putting it down as an impartial, nothing special WWI set to knowing all about them and 'almost' buying this set as a gift for your Dad all in the same thread?

I mistook the set for the WWI set. For that I apologize. I AM familiar with BOTH sets though and have seen them in person more than once. If you don't believe me, I couldn't care less, call up Eric at OPS if you feel compelled to question my interest in those sets they had for sale.

Listen, this is an untouched, unracked COMPLETE WWII set from 1970, built on a series 70 Government with Factory polished nickel and factory engraving in the as-delivered packaging from 40 YEARS AGO - and to top it off they have THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER.

Hey, great like I said, I saw the SAME exact thing WITH THE ORIGINAL package UNTOUCHED with the original buyers name on it on the outside of the box. The WWI set I saw was in untouched condition aswell. Both sets were offered to me at MUCH less than your original quote of up to $1800-2000 a gun as stated in your ad.

They sold for $1400 each - that is comparable to a new Kimber...seems like a bargain to me (and also to a Collector that knows more than me about Colt's, and obviously more than you)...

Again, I think that's great. Congrats!

Please, put down the "know-it-all" bottle and step away from the computer - it's embarrasing.

Get over yourself here. I didn't claim to know everything here and I apologized for my error. I DO know enough to realize that these are far from a once in a lifetime find, that's all I was pointing out. If one looks around these can be found, but geez... it's not like you sold a Singer or Navy here my friend. :comfort:

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis.... that's why I don't buy 'safe queens'. I have a 1912 Savage and a couple of pre WW1 Winchesters that get hunted with...:woohoo1:

:)

Well, I can justify shooting a classic that has already been shot... but these... they haven't even been racked... their virgins.... I couldn't bring myself to taint them. :)

I do however shoot my 70 year old Franchi at Pro-Am often... and my Winchester Pre-64 at the range often.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:)they haven't even been racked... their virgins.... I couldn't bring myself to taint them. :)

THIS is why I don't buy such items. I can't justify spending such cash on something that will just sit there, collecting dust. I have one or two safe queens, which is one or two too many :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom