Computer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does your friend need to run 2 with HDMI? I am willing to bet there is probably a dvi or dp output on the computer alongside the hdmi. The difference being HDMI carries video and audio as the other 2 just deliver video.
No need for running hdmi twice unless you are trying to have 2 separate audio outputs as well

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If her computer has both DVI and HDMI, then she can use either an DVI to HDMI cable OR if her monitor has a DVI input she can use an HDMI for one and DVI for the other. If she only has one HDMI output, then you need to get an HDMI adapter.
This is the answer I got at the computer store trying to set one up for my son.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm ... I'm sure I have DVI ports ... Let me go look ... (As far as needing 2 or more HDMI ports that's what I was told by someone who I thought knew what they were talking about. I have since learned that her teenaged son set up her computer system for her. 🤦 Probably explains why I have a gaming system sitting on my desk right now. 😂)

It does have a lot if memory ... Lol

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm ... I'm sure I have DVI ports ... Let me go look ... (As far as needing 2 or more HDMI ports that's what I was told by someone who I thought knew what they were talking about. I have since learned that her teenaged son set up her computer system for her. 🤦 Probably explains why I have a gaming system sitting on my desk right now. 😂)

There is no such thing as too much memory, as you will find out when you get old. :lmfao:

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Most gaming setups these days have one HDMI and several Displayport outputs which will work as HDMI with the right adapter. Edit: Your second monitor may even have a Displayport input, they only have a slanted part on one side, where HDMI has it on both. I'll try to find a picture of the difference.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gaming setups these days have one HDMI and several Displayport outputs which will work as HDMI with the right adapter. Edit: Your second monitor may even have a Displayport input, they only have a slanted part on one side, where HDMI has it on both. I'll try to find a picture of the difference.
Displayport
1920px-DisplayPort_on_a_computer.jpg

HDMI
HDMI.socket.png

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need you guys to suggest some beginner's reading on computers and how they work. It appears I may need to be my own IT guy ... 🤦 and consequently need an education ... 🤓🤓

Latest posts

Top Bottom