Computer woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the purple's are rated for camera systems. Don't remember what they did but I think they are kinda setup like a shingle system or something like that. But the drives are more purpose built now too. NAS and Enterprise drives don't park the heads unless they are powering down or specifically told to park. Consumer drives park the heads after just a few seconds so in a NAS system they don't last long unless you have constant data writes and reads. The WD green drives were able to have their idle time changed and they worked fine in NAS systems but they made changes on that.

Right now my NAS drive have about 35500 hours on them, or just over 4 years solid of power on time. Only had one start to throw some error's and I RMA'd it right afterwards. Replacement has about 19K hours on it. But I have to say I did figure out how to make a consumer drive work in a NAS. I have a script that runs every few seconds once it powers on and basically it does a directory list. It's just enough to force the heads not to park. I just use it as a scratch drive anyway but it has 11K hours on it and still not dead. Most consumer drives put into service on a similar system die within a year. I have heard of people trying to use the purple drives in a NAS system but they never work well. Same goes for the SMR (shingled magnetic recording) drives, they are made to be written to in one big dump and then read from whenever. Basically the data is written in a big long single stripe and the data on a lower tier overwrites part of the upper tier a little bit for anyone wondering. It's kind alike laying the shingles on a roof, going back in later on to replace the shingles near the top or the middle is a pain in the butt so the drives suck for much other thank full backups.

I do love my NVME drive though. Had someone over and they started loading up a program, I laughed and said watch this as I was going to load the exact same one on my system. I rebooted my computer and had it loaded before theirs could fully load up. It's like having a sports car and putting it up against a prius that isn't running right. There is just no comparison the speed I get compared to a 5400 rpm laptop drive.

I honestly need to replace the boot drives in my server though. I have a couple old crappy laptop drives in it and should swap to an SSD. I also have space for about 40 more 3.5" HDD's in it as well but need to get my truck fixed before I look to do anything there.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know your pain, my desktop would not boot up Thursday. Power supply led was on turned off when I pushed the power up button but no fans or anything else. Tried several troubleshooting items. I have a new power supply on the way, hope that fixes the problem. Limping by with my laptop that was not a complete backup for now. I do have it on my desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse, but it is not the same. Good luck to you also.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck to you. The only 'back-up' I have is my wife's laptop, so that's kinda' limited. @NightShade tells me I need a second computer, and I think he's right. This laptop must be 8 to 10 years old. I may start shopping online for a new one and keep this for my back-up. In the past, when I replaced a computer, I gave my old one away. I guess I should quit doing that.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, Amazon truck showed up in my rural out in the middle of no where driveway honking at my gate about 7 this evening. Just now had time to change out the power supply in my computer. Out in the middle of the floor, the fans come on, big improvement, shut it back down. I kinda had unwired more than just this computer to get the laptop hooked up to my normal stuff, monitor, keyboard, and mouse.. KVM switch for my flight simulator computer got unwired and other stuff. Putting it back to gather I Kinda found some "dust" behind my desk along with a lot of wires covered up in the back, so got it out of the way.

Any way, lots of wires back there with three computers, a hot spot, wireless router, two USB printers, outside camera, FM radio transmitter for my local music on one computer to play thorough a radio within range. ( I think I am supposed to be limited to 5 or so miles out on the lake close to my house. 100mw,yep guess my 50 ft antenna might be kinda tall) Also my specialty built for my 235 Cherokee airplane Flight Simulator computer, and some other **** I do not remember where it goes but hooked this one up to my battery back up. got it fired up. All my Icons are moved around because of the temp start up earlier, (I hope this is not another one) but then I did a test connect at
to see how I was connected and had no audio. Damn, wrong jack way back behind all my stuff, I had plugged the speakers into the mic jack. Switched and by then I decided this would be more appropriate, what should be The OSA theme song by Queen if you listen to it past the opening
Got three USB cables and one cat5 cable out from behind the desk that had no place to go. I have rebooted and done a couple cold boots with no failure. Loving to be back to normal again. Got to go back to that Queen song, We will rack you.

I hope everything goes as well for you, had 5 days of aggravation, cost me $40 for a power supply but I am back up and running. And got a reminder, backups can be handy to have at times. might it be time to do one? haha

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My miner was killing a PSU about every two years. Then again I was using an 850 watt PSU and running the MoBo, a pentium LGA 1151 cpu, 2 sticks of DDR4, 2 gtx 1080's that are beyond normal factory clocking and an RX480 that is also faster than normal factory clocking. Using a calc online most of them say I should have been pulling around 820 watts but I am guessing I was a little over that. Was able to swap for a 1200 watt psu for about 90 bucks when it went out last month.

Probably a blown cap or something else messed up. It will feed the MoBo power but won't actually fully power up. Need to take it apart and see if I notice anything messed up, if not I will strip the 120MM fan out of it and a few other things then toss it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck to you. The only 'back-up' I have is my wife's laptop, so that's kinda' limited. @NightShade tells me I need a second computer, and I think he's right. This laptop must be 8 to 10 years old. I may start shopping online for a new one and keep this for my back-up. In the past, when I replaced a computer, I gave my old one away. I guess I should quit doing that.

Assemble your own. It is cheaper and you get a better rig. Unless you are going for a mac, then just make sure they use lube when you go to pay for it.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MY main computer (this one I have been working on) is a WIN7 machine, close to 10 years old but does absolutely everything I want it to do. My specialized Flight Simulator program for the Cherokee 235 I fly is o an old XP machine that will not run on anything newer and he is not going to jump through the Micrsoft Hoops to update it. It is extremely specialized for my exact airplane and pannel instruments, so going to keep it going as long as I can. All my music is on another old XP machine just because I have that old box handy. I do have backups of the 4K plus favorite old rock and roll and blues songs I have I play through my radio transmitter to house FM radios, mowing the grass earbud radios, out on the lake "within range" radio. Unlike most people, my internet here is very limited. 15mb/mo before throttling. 5mb speed $90/mp. Yep, keep searching, that is the best package I can find today. I love living where I live, but internet sucks, don't like satellite dropping out with my live radar during storms, ya know. After 17 years of this, I think my world will change in the near (1yr) future. Like me, get a new computer and use your old one for the "backup". Good Luck to you.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MY main computer (this one I have been working on) is a WIN7 machine, close to 10 years old but does absolutely everything I want it to do. My specialized Flight Simulator program for the Cherokee 235 I fly is o an old XP machine that will not run on anything newer and he is not going to jump through the Micrsoft Hoops to update it. It is extremely specialized for my exact airplane and pannel instruments, so going to keep it going as long as I can. All my music is on another old XP machine just because I have that old box handy. I do have backups of the 4K plus favorite old rock and roll and blues songs I have I play through my radio transmitter to house FM radios, mowing the grass earbud radios, out on the lake "within range" radio. Unlike most people, my internet here is very limited. 15mb/mo before throttling. 5mb speed $90/mp. Yep, keep searching, that is the best package I can find today. I love living where I live, but internet sucks, don't like satellite dropping out with my live radar during storms, ya know. After 17 years of this, I think my world will change in the near (1yr) future. Like me, get a new computer and use your old one for the "backup". Good Luck to you.

When you decide to upgrade unify. That is why I ended up with my server the way it is. All of my media is on it, music, movies, tv, home video's, pictures, etc. If I digitally record it in some way it goes to the server. I can then access everything through Plex. I sync playlists to my phone and tablet for music but everything is available through a web browser or one of the apps as well. I can pull out my phone anywhere in the world and pull up a picture or song from my server. Everything I have on it is already there and in a situation like yours with a limited cap you can basically have your own netflix. You could use the same transmitter but also access through WiFi near home or if you are like my sync to your device. When I am at home and my phone is plugged in it uploads the pictures and video's I have taken automatically to the server as well. When my father was thinking about moving to the Philippines the plan was to mail a HDD every so often with media so he could add it to his server directly as it would have been too slow to do much else.

My server is overkill for a lot of people, to be honest it can be ran on slower hardware, I however also run virtual machines, docker containers, among other things. One of the things I have done is set it up so that updates are cached and you can do the same for basically anything on the internet as well so stuff that is used a lot is held on a computer and served to you without using the internet at all. A lot of people get something with an intel Atom CPU on it, https://amzn.to/2V3oBrz the only other thing you need is a SAS controller card so that you can hook up more drives. As long as you are not transcoding video it will work fine. The reason for a board like that is it uses ECC RAM (Error Correcting Code) because ZFS handles a lot of stuff in RAM you want to do everything you can to prevent errors. Desktop boards and CPU's don't handle this well if at all. And yeah you could use a raid card but the issue there is a few years down the road the card dies and you may not get your data back. ZFS is connection agnostic, I had drives hooked to SATA ports that I swapped over to a SAS backplane and the data is just fine, I can hook them to any board that supports a SATA connection and the data is accessible. Drobo's and other NAS appliances are unable to be done that way and even swapping to a newer version could render the drives worthless because they are not hardware agnostic, switching to a different appliance is impossible. I can even access my drives by importing the pool into a straight FreeBSD install and they theoretically should work with ZFS on Linux as well.

For your simulator, well when you get a chance take a look at this one.

It's not cheap (I think the guy said something like 6000 to 7000 for it, but a 190 degree view plus all the gauges and instruments as well as the computer are probably included in that pricetag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom