Concealed Carry Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just some questions on concealed carry for Oklahoma. I've been to multiple gun stores in the OKC area(shall remain unnamed) that offer CC classes and they have all said that I have to be a resident of the state to get a CCL. That makes sense. I am active duty military and have lived in OK for over 4 years. When I asked about proof of residency from the AF(like when purchasing a firearm), they said that no, I had to be a state resident.
Here's where I have questions. According to Oklahoma Statutes Title 21, Section 1290.1, "For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term "residency" shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency". http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/Conceal_Carry_Eligibility_Requirements.html
So have I been lied to multiple times by multiple instructors or do they simply not know the correct requirements? Has there been an update to the law that overrides this statute?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ignore the instructors, it's not their job to validate residency. You meet the residency requirements.

Take your class, get your certificate and submit your paperwork. (...and bring your military handgun qualification card and skip the range portion. Save a few bucks and get out faster. It's not training, it's block checking.)

U

usaffiremanboyd

I am ADAF and just went through the conceal carry class. Just needed my orders that brought me to OK. As far as buying handguns, a copy of your orders will be needed to. Another fact that i found out was since i don't possess a OK drivers license, when i PCS, the OK conceal carry card is invalid. A way around keeping it valid would be to get a OK drivers license and keep it updated. Hope this helps!

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Military personnel on Permanent Change of Stations Orders are considered "residents" for the purposes of the SDA. Come take the class with me and when you submit your paperwork to the sheriff include a copy of your orders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom