Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What da funk. That SUCKS, Dennis! If it's just the controller, I would look into upgrading it, not going back with the Traeger version. I put a different one on mine that worked much better. Look into the PID controllers, they do a much better job of keeping consistent temps.

I gotta say, though I've read about a decrease in Traeger quality, maybe this is an example. I have torn my old Traeger (OLD Traeger) apart and it looks pretty simple. I've replaced the controller and the firepot, but the augur is about the only original thing still on it. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What da funk. That SUCKS, Dennis! If it's just the controller, I would look into upgrading it, not going back with the Traeger version. I put a different one on mine that worked much better. Look into the PID controllers, they do a much better job of keeping consistent temps.

I gotta say, though I've read about a decrease in Traeger quality, maybe this is an example. I have torn my old Traeger (OLD Traeger) apart and it looks pretty simple. I've replaced the controller and the firepot, but the augur is about the only original thing still on it. lol

Where did you get your controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember, it's been too many years. But I got one like this:

https://www.bbqislandinc.com/ortech-traeger-pellet-digital-replacement-control.html

This is the Ortech replacement which works well and has a whole lot more control available for the augur, allowing you to fine-tune your temps more. But, it is just a set pellet drop rate based on your P settings.

The PID controllers like the Savannah Stoker are actually responsive to temp fluxuations and much better, IMO. I wished I had gone this route, but I didn't know about them initially. For $90 for the Ortech or $200 for the SS, I would have gotten the SS first, but didn't want to shell out to replace it, since I almost never use my Traeger anymore. Honestly, the Ortech one works great and has much better control than the factory one, especially once you get to know it. Much like learning how your rifle shoots, and reloading your own rounds, keeping good records and monitoring temps continuously makes a monstrous huge difference. Each smoker reacts different based on your pellets, your location, etc. You can probably achieve 80% of the results of the Savannah Stoker with the Ortech, provided you have a really good thermometer. I use a Fireboard which was a phenomenal investment in my BBQ efforts.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a Chinese model probably. I wouldnt buy another if mine ever dies unless they start making them in the US.
Mine is 20 years old and I keep waiting for it to take a dump but it keeps on going.
Sorry to hear this though. Good thing you avoided a house fire. I always go off and leave mine and or smoke overnight and maybe I shouold stop doing that or at least move it off the patio when I do.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this though. Good thing you avoided a house fire. I always go off and leave mine and or smoke overnight and maybe I shouold stop doing that or at least move it off the patio when I do.
I'm not sure it would have caused a house fire. The "fire" which was electrical in nature started the pellets in the hopper to smoulder and smoke. I think the closed lid would have kept it smouldering and not a raging fire, but one never knows and the electrical fire stench was wafting near the back door and into the house.
I'll probably not replace it with a Traeger controller, but one of the PID controllers mentioned earlier that will get it hotter. I have trouble getting it to 400 degrees and that's not hot enough for a good sear on a steak.
When I saw it was at 450 degrees I knew there was a problem, and that's when all the meltdown started.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
95964363_3179486685429872_8099540431643082752_n.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember, it's been too many years. But I got one like this:

https://www.bbqislandinc.com/ortech-traeger-pellet-digital-replacement-control.html

This is the Ortech replacement which works well and has a whole lot more control available for the augur, allowing you to fine-tune your temps more. But, it is just a set pellet drop rate based on your P settings.

The PID controllers like the Savannah Stoker are actually responsive to temp fluxuations and much better, IMO. I wished I had gone this route, but I didn't know about them initially. For $90 for the Ortech or $200 for the SS, I would have gotten the SS first, but didn't want to shell out to replace it, since I almost never use my Traeger anymore. Honestly, the Ortech one works great and has much better control than the factory one, especially once you get to know it. Much like learning how your rifle shoots, and reloading your own rounds, keeping good records and monitoring temps continuously makes a monstrous huge difference. Each smoker reacts different based on your pellets, your location, etc. You can probably achieve 80% of the results of the Savannah Stoker with the Ortech, provided you have a really good thermometer. I use a Fireboard which was a phenomenal investment in my BBQ efforts.
I saved both of those controllers for further consideration. A quick scan said the Savanna Stoker could not get to the 500 degree mark without modifications. I'll have to call and see what those modifications are.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be a limitation of the firebox as much as anything. I replaced my firepot when I replaced my igniter one time and screwed things up. The 'new and improved' firepot had two small extra holes it. Once I did that, I kept getting flameouts constantly. I would lose my fire and go out and the pellets would be filling up the pot as the augur continued to run. Something like the SS I believe will reactivate your igniter if the flame goes out. Turns out when I put my 'old' firepot back on, without the two extra little holes, no more flameouts. Craziness. Just that small change in airflow caused me months worth of problems.

I also loaded up a bunch of bricks inside the bottom of mine, around the firepot and under the drain pan. This seems to help it maintain heat better and the fluxuations aren't nearly as pronounced. Initially I would see big temp swings, especially if it was cold and windy.

Mine is a really REALLY old Traeger, one of their earlier models, I believe. Like I said, I don't use it so much anymore, but it is pretty decent with the mods I've done on it. I can do three rack of babybacks on the grate, and then I made a homemade 2nd row out of a baking rack and some long lag bolts and washers and can do 2 more above it. Nearly doubled my cooking area. I can do 4-5 pork butts in it if I need to, I think. Of course, I can do 6 in my Yoder, so I've seldom a need to fire up the Traeger anymore.

<edit> I tried the 'rib rack' idea and most of them didn't work worth a damn, in my opinion. I found some expanding pot lid racks at Ikea I think, and they were head and shoulders above most of those crappy rib racks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of rib racks either. They don’t cook even.
We had temp swings too, but saw a tip once to put a cardboard toilet paper roll over the thermocouple. It helps maintain a steady temperature.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting as my thermocouple has nothing to do with the temp control. Maybe yours already had a sort of PID controller. My original and the new one just have set rates at which pellets are dispensed - for 5 seconds every 40 seconds or something. the P values adjust this, but there is nothing in response to the temp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom