Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of yall with the blackstone's or other griddles do you think it replaces a grate / normal grill for things like burgers?

I have a traeger that I use a lot but also have a propane grill for burgers / hotdogs and things like that. I was thinking of getting a blackstone but dont really want 3 grills.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Near perfection.

Ok This one was the last of the dough batch from a week ago. 9 days to be exact.

It’s been fermenting and getting happy.

I wanted to fire this one outside on the egg but here in okie land it’s been a lot dryer than normal. There’s burn bans and today is windy soooooo it’s cast iron skillet time again

Pressed the dough into a 12 inch well oiled skillet.
Then added a layer of sliced provalone.

Then sauce

Then a layer of pepperoni.

Then a layer of fresh shredded mozzarella.

Popped into a 525 degree preheated oven for 13 minutes on the lowest rack.

And here we are.
It was all hot and bubbly
Bottom had great browning.
Cheese was well melted.
Edges and bottom have a nice crunch.

The dough has a light airy texture with a almost sourdough taste. Pleasantly surprised at that.
Looks good

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smoked a meatloaf today for the first time. Came out great. Wife really liked it.
I did try smoking tators and carrots with it and while they had a great flavor, they were undercooked. I believe they need to be parboiled or in my case, wave at them for about 5 minutes before smoking. Even the sweet potatoes had a nice smokey flavor. I used pecan wood.

meatloaf.jpg

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smoked a meatloaf today for the first time. Came out great. Wife really liked it.
I did try smoking tators and carrots with it and while they had a great flavor, they were undercooked. I believe they need to be parboiled or in my case, wave at them for about 5 minutes before smoking. Even the sweet potatoes had a nice smokey flavor. I used pecan wood.

View attachment 312516
I'm not familiar with using a smoker but in something like that, I've cut the potatoes into smaller pieces and started cooking them for a while first.
Then pull the pan out of the oven, carefully add the meatloaf (patting it in place with a spoon). Return to oven and cook like normal.
The potatoes get more done that way.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with using a smoker but in something like that, I've cut the potatoes into smaller pieces and started cooking them for a while first.
Then pull the pan out of the oven, carefully add the meatloaf (patting it in place with a spoon). Return to oven and cook like normal.
The potatoes get more done that way.
Normally I cook meatloaf and veggies together in the oven and they are cut smaller. First time trying it in a smoker and I was afraid they would get over done. Turned out not to be the case. So next time I will cut them smaller, nuke em a few minutes, then smoke them with the meatloaf.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those of yall with the blackstone's or other griddles do you think it replaces a grate / normal grill for things like burgers?

I have a traeger that I use a lot but also have a propane grill for burgers / hotdogs and things like that. I was thinking of getting a blackstone but dont really want 3 grills.
About a month after getting my 36 inch Blackstone, I sold my big gas grill and haven’t looked back. I don’t miss it at all after 3 years. I can cook everything plus a lot more on the griddle. I don’t think I will ever own a normal grill again.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I do make smash burgers and regular burgers on mine. Yes, it has a little different flavor from grease dripping down and smoking up to the meat, but it is an easy way to cook a lot of burgers just like the smashburger joints. Same with steaks, just a little different, but good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About a month after getting my 36 inch Blackstone, I sold my big gas grill and haven’t looked back. I don’t miss it at all after 3 years. I can cook everything plus a lot more on the griddle. I don’t think I will ever own a normal grill again.
The Blackstones are so versatile you can even use them as a smoker.
I do ribs and small briskets on our 22" all the time.
Put the protein on a grate that is about .5" off the surface of the griddle.
Fill a smoke tube with pellets and start smoldering on the opposite side of the griddle with only a low fire on the off side. No direct heat under the ribs.
We have a lid on our 22" that will maintain about 230 degrees with the offset heat. 5.5 to 6 hours later you have perfect smoked ribs.
Actually won 2nd place in a rib cookoff among some of our camping friends with a field of 6 contestants in a fun thing where the wifes were the judges in a blind judging. I was the only one not using a conventional smoker.
1666671050824.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom