Cotton wood Trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rather like cottonwoods. Sorry about the allergies, though—I can sympathize, as those damned red cedars get me.

I have two huge cottonwoods next to the gate at my place. The bigger one has to be near six feet in diameter, but I don’t know how it keeps going. It has been hit by lightning multiple times, to the point that its bark is no longer securely attached for about the first six or eight feet. During storms it has dropped branches bigger than some trees, but it just keeps on ticking. When I had the garden tilled, you could almost see the dirt drying out after a rain as that giant cottonwood was sucking the water out of the dirt.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rather like cottonwoods. Sorry about the allergies, though—I can sympathize, as those damned red cedars get me.

I have two huge cottonwoods next to the gate at my place. The bigger one has to be near six feet in diameter, but I don’t know how it keeps going. It has been hit by lightning multiple times, to the point that its bark is no longer securely attached for about the first six or eight feet. During storms it has dropped branches bigger than some trees, but it just keeps on ticking. When I had the garden tilled, you could almost see the dirt drying out after a rain as that giant cottonwood was sucking the water out of the dirt.
:yikes2: :yikes2::yikes2::yikes2:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry--I didn't intend to trigger your PTSD...
Man, you did, too. I literally broke out in a cold sweat. 🤣🤣

The other neighbor and I were talking today and she thanked me again for paying to have the old growth maple tree in their yard removed. I don't think they realize what they did for me. Whew! 🤷

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you did, too. I literally broke out in a cold sweat. 🤣🤣

The other neighbor and I were talking today and she thanked me again for paying to have the old growth maple tree in their yard removed. I don't think they realize what they did for me. Whew! 🤷

It was a maple?? Man, whomever carted off the tree probably got some very nice lumber from that. As a woodworker, I’m jealous whenever someone gets some old growth lumber.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a maple?? Man, whomever carted off the tree probably got some very nice lumber from that. As a woodworker, I’m jealous whenever someone gets some old growth lumber.
Yep. I'm sad to say it went into the wood chipper just as fast as they cut it down. It was dying and most of the trunk was rotted out on the inside. The tree guys said it probably wouldn't have made it another year or so before it was so rotted out one good wind gust would have had it laying in my driveway.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't have to worry about yall trespassing. I have a wall of cedar on the back fence, a few up front and there's several cottonwoods on the fenceline between my neighbor and I, albeit they're on his property. Idk how much longer they're gonna last. He's lost several in the last few years. There's probably 8 more in his front yard along the road. Who knows how many cottonwoods on the property to the other side of me, at least a half dozen. When they get going, it certainly can look like snow outside. No biggie if I keep up with some OTC allergy meds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom