Crowd Sourced Traffic App

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/Distraction_NPFG-02162012.pdf
"The NHTSA Guidelines recommend that devices be designed so that tasks can be completed by the driver while driving with glances away from the roadway of 2 seconds or less and a cumulative time spent glancing away from the roadway of 12 seconds or less. "

We have been talking specifically about Waze and not at all about broader cell phone use.

I'll read that document in depth later. In the meantime, Waze is a cell phone app, is it not? Therefore, we're talking about the use of a cell phone while driving.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could, but it's annoying when folks try to justify behavior that could easily be avoided by delaying one's desire for immediate gratification. Driving is a great responsibility, and I see far too many drivers burying their noses in a mobile device. After witnessing two accidents caused by drivers paying more attention to their phones than their driving, and after being rear-ended by another cell phone "driver," I tend to take a rather dim view of such a selfish practice. Fortunately, no damage was done to my truck in the last incident, but I did make some barbed comments to the woman who hit me about looking in my rear view mirror immediately prior to the impact and seeing her looking down and away at her phone. I was sitting at a traffic light, before anyone comments about me not paying attention to the road ahead, and the other two accidents were directly in front of me where I could see the drivers holding up cell phones.

Found your problem.

How do you feel about truckers using CB radios?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worst wreck I've seen in the last few years was a woman (whodathunkit) turning around to deal with her grandbaby in the backseat. Sailed right through a stop sign at 45mph, right into a car doing 65mph on a 4 lane. Car she hit rolled multiple times. My girlfriend and I were right behind grandma.

Ban babies from cars, or make them ride in cages like cats on airplanes.

The time I was almost killed in an accident, it was an elderly driver at fault. I did get to see them shut down a highway and land a helicopter on it, so that was cool. Alcohol impairs motor function and reaction time? ****. I'll get drunk and challenge any sober octogenarian to a game of whack-a-mole. See how that theory stacks up.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worst wreck I've seen in the last few years was a woman (whodathunkit) turning around to deal with her grandbaby in the backseat. Sailed right through a stop sign at 45mph, right into a car doing 65mph on a 4 lane. Car she hit rolled multiple times. My girlfriend and I were right behind grandma.

Ban babies from cars, or make them ride in cages like cats on airplanes.

The time I was almost killed in an accident, it was an elderly driver at fault. I did get to see them shut down a highway and land a helicopter on it, so that was cool. Alcohol impairs motor function and reaction time? ****. I'll get drunk and challenge any sober octogenarian to a game of whack-a-mole. See how that theory stacks up.

1. Anti texting laws don't ban devices from cars, they ban conduct. Grandma messing with a baby seems to be in violation of 47 O.S. §11-901b (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=436089), but then so does someone playing with their phone.
2. Wouldn't a more valid test be playing whack a mole sober, and then playing drunk? I dunno about octogenarians, but I know at least one septuagenarian who would take you down at whack-a-mole if you'd been drinking.

Edit: Yes, I'm bored.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: Yes, I'm bored.

Me too. Paperwork sucks.

The cell phone usage thing is blown out of proportion. The problem is simply incompetent drivers. I bet if we made proving you can smoothly drive a manual transmission vehicle in real-world conditions a requirement to get an operator's license, we'd the accident rate fall by a minimum of 20% in a few years.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google maps uses Waze data for it's traffic overlay..

Cell phone use (except hands free voice operation) while driving is totally banned here, with up to $500 fine. Did people stop using their phones? NOPE! They just hold them lower, making them even harder to use while driving.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google maps uses Waze data for it's traffic overlay..

Cell phone use (except hands free voice operation) while driving is totally banned here, with up to $500 fine. Did people stop using their phones? NOPE! They just hold them lower, making them even harder to use while driving.

It's Austin, dude. It's not like anyone is doing over 7mph on the highway anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom