Damn Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The weirdest thing happened yesterday morning, and evening. I got to my spot (which just a few days earlier, we were scouting around to make sure everything was good to go and jumped about 4 deer) at about 5:30AM, well before daylight, got setup, totally quiet. Wind at my face, but still had no scent on me, didn't hear too much activity until right before daylight, coyotes started yipping - no big deal, sounded like a fairly large pack, but its common around where I hunt.

Then another pack answers back - this one sounded like quite a few more coyotes that I'm used to hearing (possibly 15 or more) and just when they were about half way through with their howling, another pack behind me (this was was fairly close and started to concern me a little). Among all of this racket is the normal howling and yipping, but also very distinct barking and what sounds like a full-grown man screaming as loud and as hard as he can.

Then I hear it - not 15yds to the east side of where I usually get a deer (I'm on the other side at about 60yds to the west), it sounded like what could have been 35 or so coyotes - louder, closer, and well more aggressive than I've ever heard in my life. They almost sounded like they were fighting and then shortly after, they get quiet (with one or two yotes whimpering and whining). Then I see no deer (until I finally give up from being eaten up by mosquitoes) at about 8:30 (it was wet and a little warmer than I thought it would be).

So I head back out for the evening - this time with my son at about 4:00pm. We setup to the north of the spot this time, on the back of a pond dam and I'm again in good cover, the wind has shifted and is yet again at my face - evening hunts in this area are almost a sure thing - I've gotten (or taken friends to get) the last 3 deer from this spot and its always a sure thing when we get there - the deer always show up.

Right about 5:10pm or so, here come the coyotes again - one pack, two packs, then the third one was again just to the east of my spot - its even louder this time (approx 75yds away from us - it was so loud that it startled my son who was sleeping on my backpack next to me). This time, it almost sounded violent and there was definitely some hurt yotes afterwards.

No Deer after this until its too dark to take a shot and I give up.

This year so far, I've seen/heard more coyotes than I think I ever have - and some of the ones I've seen almost look like they're breeding with Farrel dogs or something - I swear, the one I saw up north of Morris looked like it was built like a German Shepard.

Is it possible that they're bold enough to go after a small doe or Fawn and scaring away my deer? I was kind of hoping for one of them to pop up over the hill so I could blast one (even if it meant ruining my opening-day deer hunt) and kind of wished that I had brought along my cotton-tail call with me.

I was kind of pissed, but I really want to hunt coyotes this year, so I guess if I can just get through deer rifle season, I'll have to go after some yotes.

I'm not going to lie, that was almost "stand up the hair on the back of my neck" scary when I heard that close pack start howling. I only had 5rds and a bolt-gun and my CZ was in the jeep quite a ways away.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I allways take great pleasure in sending rounds into yoties during rifle season if I see them.....

But in answer to your question, yes they can run off deer.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very possible that the deer are getting run off by the coyotes. If they had a bumper crop of pups, and they are getting older they may be competing for food sources and starting to fight.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one run some deer by me in october and my brother had one run a bug buck by him at McAlester the other day. There seem to be a lot of coyotes everywhere this year...except where I was calling Friday morning.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i think the warmer winters have produced a bunch of coyotes.we have less deer and more "dogs" on our place.i shot one earlier this season and have told everyone to shoot em if they see em.we've seen almost no fawns in the last two years.the coyotes have put the hurt on everything from quail to deer.the deer don't now what a rifle shot is.so,drop the dog when you see it and keep hunting.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not real experienced, but the one thing I have learned is how easy it is for 2 dogs to sound like 9 when they get to howling. Unless you saw them I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly less numbers than you thought...could easily still be running the deer off I'd think though. A friend of mine was working in Yellowstone National Park one summer and watched a coyote chance a baby buffalo for 25 minutes before he was finally rescued by the adults on the other side of the river, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they go for deer.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not real experienced, but the one thing I have learned is how easy it is for 2 dogs to sound like 9 when they get to howling. Unless you saw them I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly less numbers than you thought...could easily still be running the deer off I'd think though. A friend of mine was working in Yellowstone National Park one summer and watched a coyote chance a baby buffalo for 25 minutes before he was finally rescued by the adults on the other side of the river, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they go for deer.

As many coyotes as we have out where I hunt (and grew up in that same area), I know what a normal pack of 5-10 sound like - this was way louder, way more individual yelps/barks/howls than I'm used to hearing in any of the packs I've ever seen/heard.

It may not have been as many as I thought, but it damn sure sounded louder than any 3 of the biggest packs I've ever heard before.

I was close enough to hear the echos in the clump of trees that they were in and the noise was coming from a pretty wide area - there were distinct noises coming from the north edge of these trees and all the way throughout the wooded area the to the south edge of the trees.

Howling and yipping are normal - I've never heard barking, growling, or what sounded like some sort of coyote fight (I imagine that's what it was - or them taking on a deer of some kind - this sounded like more than a few large dogs going at it among all the other noise).

And that screaming sound - man, that was crazy. I've never heard anything like that in my life. Wasn't like a mountain lion scream - it started off like a howl, but started to sound like if a man was making a howling sound and just sort of ended up screaming at the top of his lungs.

I don't believe I'm going after them without the AR and a couple of 30rd mags, so I'll probably get out there right after deer season.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am far from a tree hugging animal activist, but I just hate shooting coyotes. I never look down on anyone for doing it, and wish more people would shoot them. They are way over populated and they can really hammer on the turkey and quail population. I am a die hard duck hunter and my lab is my best friend in the whole world. It just makes me sad to put the cross hairs on something that is so much like my girl. And the fact that I love to hear them sing at night. It is a comforting feeling for me. I've shot plenty in my day and love calling them in, but I will pass on the shooting. Hey, but ya'll give em hell!

Latest posts

Top Bottom