Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The regional job would provide more quality experience as a pilot, but the $35K job is more of an administrative position with a little flying on the side. Not quite what I spent 4 years training to do.

If your end goal is to fly take the one that puts you in the air. I left OU Aviation after a little more that 200 Hours so I could take a job as a Systems Admin. I probably do make more than I would have flying unless I had been picked up by a major carrier but I have regretted that decision almost every day since. What's even more ironic is for a couple of years my office at EDS/HP overlooked the runways in Tulsa. That hurt!

The job that pays 20K could really be considered continuing education you get paid a little to do. You will jump somewhere bigger from there. I don't know the details or your family dynamics but you will ultimately have to decide on your own what kind of seat you wish to occupy. Good luck.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense, but if what I loved doing paid $20K/year I'd consider it a hobby.

No reason not to look at making a better living and then flying on the side?

Simply put, your 2 options wouldn't be the 2 options I'd limit myself to...

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No offense, but if what I loved doing paid $20K/year I'd consider it a hobby.

No reason not to look at making a better living and then flying on the side?

Simply put, your 2 options wouldn't be the 2 options I'd limit myself to...

It's what my experience and training is in...anything else would require returning to school. Been there, done that. Like asking a medical student doing their residency to find something else. No offense taken, though.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, thats a tough decision.
Is the "education" you need ..flying? or can you get it otherwise?
Any chances for a second job, consulting maybe, something not so physical?
I see its probably different in your field, but travelling , as much as it sucks, usually pays more.
It did however partially cost me a marriage, part was My fault.
Promises are just that , talk to the people working the other job, see if its on the up and up.
Good Luck

zodiacflyer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the possibility of pursuing other employment when not flying, planning, or commuting? I am working on my instrument and commercial right now, and want to get my CFI/MEII eventually. I personally would be happy with a flying job in the 20's TO START, but i would want time to pursue A&P work on the side, and I have an class A CDL for other moneymaking opportunities. I love flying, and i want to continue doing so. I don't want to put up with the BS at the regionals, and I would be perfectly happy in part 91 or 135 ops. My dream seat is a job working for an air museum, there, I could use my A&P, Pilot ratings, and maybe even my CDL, pay the bills, and fly some really cool old iron.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be gone all week and home only on the weekends. I know a few high school grads making nearly that per month working about 3 weeks on and a week off in the oilfield.
This was my thoughts. I just turned down making more then that a month. If I was single, I would be all over it. But my family comes before the money.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's what my experience and training is in...anything else would require returning to school. Been there, done that. Like asking a medical student doing their residency to find something else. No offense taken, though.

There are plenty of hobbyist pilots - not sure I know of any physicians practicing Medicine for "funsies".

Not to mention, Medical School leads to a rather high income in general.

There are plenty of people with no training and no HS diploma out earning $20K/ year so don't focus on that so much.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chase your dream now while you can. If it doesn't pan out and/or you start a family and want to be home more, you can always pull back and find a job that pays more than $20k closer to home.

Nothing says you have to stay at that regional job for 10 years. Train hard, earn a good reputation, and keep your eyes open for the next opportunity.

(I took a pay cut and left my last employer in order to be home more. I'm about to go back to that employer in a non-travel position making more than when I left...not even a year later. Things change, there are always options if you let yourself see them.)

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If youre not happy in your current position, make a change. This one or that one, do something.

If youre happy at this job, good for you.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom