Digging your own water well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We should immediately inform the government anytime we want to do something on our own land. Even if it's something as simple as digging a hole in our backyard.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We should immediately inform the government anytime we want to do something on our own land. Even if it's something as simple as digging a hole in our backyard.

We MUST!!!!!! It is to protect the children, if we can save only one, it is worth it.

City laws prevent drilling your own well because:
1. sewer rates are based on water usage.
2. you are drilling and they don't want you to 'accidentally' hit one of those buried lines that you don't know about running through your property.
3. the city does not get to bill you for or control your water usage.
4. well water doesn't have those necessary chemicals added to it for your safety.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to do a sandpoint well but am told that it is a layer of rock between me and the water which is supposed to be only 20 feet down

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a spike well that I capped off with a cheap cast iron pump from Atwood's that worked pretty good. Then again I lived only a few hundred yards from the Arkansas River at the time. Water table was really shallow.

I'm digging a hole later today for my flagpole. Should I notify the county first? lol

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a spike well that I capped off with a cheap cast iron pump from Atwood's that worked pretty good. Then again I lived only a few hundred yards from the Arkansas River at the time. Water table was really shallow.

I'm digging a hole later today for my flagpole. Should I notify the county first? lol

Depends, how tall is the pole? Is it in a flight path?

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty cool; there are lots of ways to make a water well.

You can research the existing wells in your area here: http://maps.owrb.state.ok.us/ms/ws/...0011001110000000010000000001001&ActiveLayer=1

Zoom in on your part of the county, left click on the "hyperlink" tab, and then left click on the green dots on the map and you can pull up the well log for the well you selected. I use this mapping program nearly everyday in my business. Unless you are in an alluvial area (creek bed or river valley), you will likely have to penetrate some rock to get to the uppermost saturated zone.

If you do hit any water, it would be a good idea to fill the annular space between your production casing and the wall of the borehole with coarse sand to prevent future borehole collapse. The upper 10' of the borehole should also be sealed with a cement grout or bentonite material to prevent surface water from contaminating the groundwater (or your neighbors well).

Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom