Digging your own water well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching how to dig a water well simply by using PVC and water pressure. I started this weekend. So far I have made it about 15 ft down. With this method it is possible to do approximately 35-40 ft down, according to my research. That should be enough to get you into the water table or an unconfined aquifer. I have hit some really tough clay, so today I plan on fabricating a metal drill bit onto the end of my pvc drill pipe. I am curious if anyone else has accomplished this or attempted this task. For everyday life I plan on using the well for irrigation and to fill my pool. But it will definitely be handy for a SHTF scenario. As I continue I will add more posts to help anyone else out, assuming it has a successful ending

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For your own financial safety, you might want to check the municipal laws.
I think that in many cities in the state, it is illegal to dig a well within city limits.

Dave

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Garber-Wellington aquifer has high arsenic concentrations. Most of the wells in that area are 100-500 feet. Also, I believe OWRB might have limits on what you can use.

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am using 2" as my drill pipe. And I will use 1.25 as my pipe with that will be hooked up to the pump. I actually have a 3inch pipe I am using also for a mud pump(this pipe allows me to reuse the same water). I will post pics tonight or tomorrow. I am doing this in the OKC area

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One pic is up will put more. In that pic the larger 4 inch pipe that runs to the blue container is for the mud pump. As I continue to work my way downwards, dirt and water flush upwards and enter into the larger blue container, from there only water will continue onto the red container which will be reused by the pump, leaving the mud behind. The pipe with the two hoses(which are connected to the pump) is my drill pipe. I have cut teeth into that pipe for cutting away at the dirt. The wood piece on the 2 inch pipe is my handle. I borrowed most of this info off of the internet and changed things where I thought it would make it easier or cheaper.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool project!
We have a water well at the house, but it was done commercially. As posted, be aware of the city regs if your doing it in town.
A buddy drilled one with a manual augar, and a 3/4" drill. Water table was about 20 feet.
once he had it cased, he put a pump on it that was used to water his lawn and cool his AC.
This guy is a master machinist, and replaced the fan on his AC with a shroud of Stainless steel. When the AC kicks on, the pump starts, and puts cold water on the condenser coils, vs using 100 degree air.
The waste water was piped to an antique Water Well structure in his front yard, that was also used to to disguise his lawn sprinkler system.

His utility bill in the summer was really cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom