Do additives like Seafoam or Lucas do anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than O'Reilly's octane booster, I've never had any results, good or bad from any fuel additive. My cars don't need anything, but my motorcycle ('85 Honda V65) likes the octane booster and non-ethanol gasoline. It runs smoother and quieter with that combo.
My personal opinion is that every new "miracle in a bottle" is just to take your money.
Heh. When I had a bike, I worked at an airport, and was friends with the maintenance guys, who frequently had to drain fuel tanks. Once the gas comes out of the tanks, it can't go back in, so they put it in a 55gal drum for occasional pickup.

Damn, but that bike ran great on 100LL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad used to pour a 50-50 mix of kerosene and Marvel Mystery oil down the carburated engines. Supposed to clean carbon, etc, but It sure created a huge smoke screen in the hood. That's all I remember, and don't know if it actually helped.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found out that octane boosters that had MTBE left orange particles on my spark plugs, fuel injectors and the tops of the pistons. Old school booster we used was better. Adding 10% toulene to gas raises 91 octane to just over 93. (toulene is a carcinogen so use caution)

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not asking about the product to make my vehicle run better. I'm wondering if it is a good preventative to keep injectors clean and minimize carbon build up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not asking about the product to make my vehicle run better. I'm wondering if it is a good preventative to keep injectors clean and minimize carbon build up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I buy crap gas. 7-11, Sams Club, etc.

I used Amsoil's older (no longer made) fuel system cleaner for years. Never had an injector go bad. Had a Monte Carlo with 240K+ on it when it blew a head gasket or cracked a head, I don't know which. I didn't repair it because it cost what the car was worth. Now I use Techron about every 10K miles. Still no issues. Techron is probably the best one out there. It's just a blend of the actual detergents and additives that Chevron blends in their fuel. When you dump the bottle in you are giving it a huge dose. If you use higher tier fuels Chevron, Shell, Phillips 66, etc.) I doubt you need anything at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom