Do tell ? Don't tell ? During sell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets say you have a gun that was used in a suicide and do not want this gun around
and you are going to sell it.
Do you tell the person buying the gun it was used to complete a suicide ?
Or do you just say nothing because it is just a tool ?

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets say you have a gun that was used in a suicide and do not want this gun around
and you are going to sell it.
Do you tell the person buying the gun it was used to complete a suicide ?
Or do you just say nothing because it is just a tool ?
Been placed in this scenario twice, 1st time was a firearm brought to me by a friend after his roommate used it and it had been released by the PD. 2nd time was after an accidental discharge that resulted in a death, again firearm was brought to me by a friend who wanted it gone. I cleaned them up and sold them on the open market and did not disclose those things. IMO it would do no good to help my cause or the buyers state of mind so its better to keep those details to myself.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That depends on your ideology. Some people believe that our spirit will attach itself to objects (main cause of house hauntings). If you have no belief in that, I would keep mum as a potential buyer might.

IMO, since the gun didn't cause the death (i.e. bad design led to spontaneous discharge), I wouldn't disclose what the gun was used for.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i personally would say something because ya, i wouldn't want any baggage attached. the same thing comes up in real estate and is the subject of many horror movies.....
wait.....
cursed guns.....
*runs to hollywood*

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd sell it and not disclose the guns history.

I worked a few years with a local gunsmith on Saturdays and one day just about closing a fella walked in and pulled a 4" blue S&W mdl. 29 out of a paper sack with the Norman PD paperwork that was in pretty sad shape all over cosmetically from still having spots of caked on blood, missing bluing and rust and ask JW what it was worth as is if he sold it........the fella said that the police had just released it to him the day before after his brother had committed suicide with it several months earlier and that he was going to sell it because he didn't want it around.

JW gave him prices on what he figured what it was worth as is and what he felt it would be worth if he invested the money to have it reblued........he ask JW if he would be interested in purchasing it, a price was agreed on and JW purchased it.

We disassembled the gun and hot blued it the following Saturday........because it had pitted pretty deep in several places from the blood we used a bead blast / matte finish as opposed to trying to buff out some of the deep pits and bring it back to a high gloss S&W finish.

JW gave it to a fella that was setting up at the gun show the following weekend and ask him to try and sell it for him.........the gun sold and the fella that bought it was none the wiser as far as the guns history went and was tickled to have it at the price he paid.

For my labor I was offered the gun at JW's cost but I declined the offer not because of the guns history but because at the time I already had a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom