Do you carry a spare magazine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry a spare magazine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I got lost............the mags feed just fine, your sayin I wont have enough?

:teach: Please read up on this. I think most folks in here who have had some real training would agree with me on this issue:
The main cause of failures with a decent semi-automatic pistol is usually attributed to a problem with the magazine. Magazine lips get bent, dirty, crud from your pocket gets in there and causes the round not to feed properly, spring gets "twisted" (fubar) up inside; follower or base plate slips out of place, etc.

For real. You probably have enough rounds in one mag in most situations you might get into as a legally armed civilian; but if all of a sudden, the damn pistol malfunctions on you and it's "showtime", best thing you can do is tap-rack-bang and if that doesn't work, drop the mag and insert a new one and you're back in business. Or, in a worst case scenario, you get into a defensive gun fight; you win "round one"; down goes the bad guy and you have say...three or four rounds left...drop that partially loaded mag and reload with a fresh one; stick the partially loaded mag back in its case (or your pocket), consider taking cover in case the downed bad guy has buddies around (or somehow gets his hands back on his weapon and points it at you causing "round two" of the fight to begin), stay very, very alert to what's going on around you, and USE YOUR JUDGMENT. Now is the time for your head to be something other than a place to put your hat. Try not to pizz in yer pants as you wait for the LEOs to get there and then follow instructions. (Do not wave your gun around and say stupid **** like: "How do you like me now!!??)

I carry a spare mag more so that I can reload a fully loaded one in a SHTF situation as soon as time permits and in my best judgment, and not be in a position to hear a click rather then a bang if I am in deep **** and having to use my weapon.

My two cents and my way of thinking...having been in harm's way, I am for damn sure not going to fail 'cause of a few extra ounces I have to carry. Second place on a foot-race is okay, second place in a gunfight sucks.

Last edited:

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:teach: Please read up on this. I think most folks in here who have had some real training would agree with me on this issue:
The main cause of failures with a decent semi-automatic pistol is usually attributed to a problem with the magazine. Magazine lips get bent, dirty, crud from your pocket gets in there and causes the round not to feed properly, spring gets "twisted" (fubar) up inside; follower or base plate slips out of place, etc.

For real. You probably have enough rounds in one mag in most situations you might get into as a legally armed civilian; but if all of a sudden, the damn pistol malfunctions on you and it's "showtime", best thing you can do is tap-rack-bang and if that doesn't work, drop the mag and insert a new one and you're back in business. Or, in a worst case scenario, you get into a defensive gun fight; you win "round one"; down goes the bad guy and you have say...three or four rounds left...drop that partially loaded mag and reload with a fresh one; stick the partially loaded mag back in its case (or your pocket), consider taking cover in case the downed bad guy has buddies around (or somehow gets his hands back on his weapon and points it at you causing "round two" of the fight to begin), stay very, very alert to what's going on around you, and USE YOUR JUDGMENT. Now is the time for your head to be something other than a place to put your hat. Try not to pizz in yer pants as you wait for the LEOs to get there and then follow instructions. (Do not wave your gun around and say stupid **** like: "How do you like me now!!??)

I carry a spare mag more so that I can reload a fully loaded one in a SHTF situation as soon as time permits and in my best judgment, and not be in a position to hear a click rather then a bang if I am in deep **** and having to use my weapon.

My two cents and my way of thinking...having been in harm's way, I am for damn sure not going to fail 'cause of a few extra ounces I have to carry. Second place on a foot-race is okay, second place in a gunfight sucks.

Thank you for the explanation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom