Do you give money to "homeless" vagrants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiscoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never give money to beggars (anymore). I always say the same thing (which is usually true) -- I don't carry cash.
I had a guy (just last night) give me a sob story that he wanted to rent a hotel room for the night for him and his wife (pointed to the hotel across the street) - and was just 80 cents short.
I could not buy that story -- and told him I wouldn't give him any money, because I don't carry cash.
He was a little belligerent - and tried to guilt me, but I stood firm.
As corny as it sounds -- I refused to give cash to panhandlers - but I always say a short prayer for the person.
I have a hard time believing anyone can truly go hungry in this state of ours, so I feel very little guilt when I refuse to give to beggars.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never give money to beggars (anymore). I always say the same thing (which is usually true) -- I don't carry cash.
I had a guy (just last night) give me a sob story that he wanted to rent a hotel room for the night for him and his wife (pointed to the hotel across the street) - and was just 80 cents short.
I could not buy that story -- and told him I wouldn't give him any money, because I don't carry cash.
He was a little belligerent - and tried to guilt me, but I stood firm.
As corny as it sounds -- I refused to give cash to panhandlers - but I always say a short prayer for the person.
I have a hard time believing anyone can truly go hungry in this state of ours, so I feel very little guilt when I refuse to give to beggars.

Also, depending on the hotel or motel (though this applies to most), they'll typically negotiate rates to a certain point. I very seriously doubt that $.80 was the deal breaker. So yeah, probably nothing but BS.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont give handouts to beggars anymore.

Kind of reminds me of a "friend" of mine who asked for $30 for gas last year. I told her i don't loan money to anybody anymore because somebody else ruined it. That was the last time i heard from that "friend".

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't even listen to their stories. I see one approaching in a parking lot , I interrupt their approach with a "no!". I've heard of a quote but can not find it in print, it was supposedly said by a foreign journalist. "I came to America in search of poverty and could not find it. I found laziness". I think there is a lot of truth in that statement. So, no, I don't give. My charity was taken by the taxman for his entitlement programs.

I'm sure there are people that need help, but they won't find you. You have to look for them.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit giving to panhandlers after a story on how much one guy made on his way to liquor store. i don't like people approaching me for money in parking lots either.....

We give lots of stuff to Habitat and Goodwill,as well as other places.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always remind them they have to have a permit to legally panhandle. If they can produce a permit then I'll give them some change. I have yet to ever discover one to legally possess a permit for panhandling. If they walk up to me in the parking lot like they always do, I confront them about the permit. They quickly back pedal and walk away.

JRad33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know a charity that hasn't been caught in scandal?

Do you know where the money goes? Do the pro life people realize some United Way locals donate to Planned Parenthood?

Long ago I was a member of a Baptist Church, when I read the budget and found out they gave more to support pregnant and teen mothers in special schools than the elderly or homeless I applied my tithes otherwise.

Give to the Make a wish foundation. There is nothing that can describe the feeling when a doctor tells you you child has cancer and will likely not survive. The Make a wish foundation will send you places like Disney land or something that you can enjoy with your child in a rough time. It amazing how much better you feel when you are not stuck in a hospital for weeks at a time. I would rather give back to them for all they have done than some bum that needs a beer or cigs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom