Does anyone here have a used working neon sign transformer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm working on another Halloween project.

A Jacobs ladder.
jacobs ladder.gif

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. But I’m in Clinton.

I actually have a Jacob’s ladder.
Did you make it or buy it?

I have been watching youtube videos and all of them are just running a straight voltage to the airgap without any caps or diodes to condition the voltage and make it more user friendly.

I have a signal generator connected to an oscilloscope ready to go running a trace for an extra laboratory effect. I have an old O scope, the tube type, I'm going to rig up with battery powered lights just for looks.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you make it or buy it?

I have been watching youtube videos and all of them are just running a straight voltage to the airgap without any caps or diodes to condition the voltage and make it more user friendly.

I have a signal generator connected to an oscilloscope ready to go running a trace for an extra laboratory effect. I have an old O scope, the tube type, I'm going to rig up with battery powered lights just for looks.
That’s cool. My dad made this one. Just a switch I think.
Nein transformers are 22,000 volts. There maybe some 18,000 volt ones also.
My dear ole step daddy built neon signs in IThe 60s and early 70s.
He allowed me the privilege of working for him so I could live in his house. It was easy work but would have been a hardscrabble life. All of the artsy stuff was out of my skill set.
With a glass tube, a stripped welding rod, some bare thin copper wire, friction tape and a transformer you can make an electro magnet too. Not real strong but it works.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s cool. My dad made this one. Just a switch I think.
Nein transformers are 22,000 volts. There maybe some 18,000 volt ones also.
My dear ole step daddy built neon signs in IThe 60s and early 70s.
He allowed me the privilege of working for him so I could live in his house. It was easy work but would have been a hardscrabble life. All of the artsy stuff was out of my skill set.
With a glass tube, a stripped welding rod, some bare thin copper wire, friction tape and a transformer you can make an electro magnet too. Not real strong but it works.
pictures?

Latest posts

Top Bottom