Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's sarcasm. I just find irony in those champion Christian ideology and pretend those involved in the genocide and theft of land from the natives weren't Christian and it didn't happen. Those people who did that, definitely weren't living with the golden rule in mind. They were greedy and selfish. And upon that, their religion shines. You can see it on every corner in this great state. The religion and ideology of complete and total love... Just don't ask them how they got it to where it is today.

I think you are making assumptions there to prove a point. No one is pretending that atrocities and genocide didn't happen by people professing to be Christians. It has happens throughout history on many levels. Those atrocities are clearly contrary to Christ's own words and the men that committed such will be judged.

My point is that there are millions upon millions of Christians that have worked and died (some at the hands of the previously mentioned) to improve this planet in ways no one will be able to comprehend. But that doesn't fit the atheist argument. Sorta like blaming the NRA for violent crimes. The real members get blamed for the things non-members do.

If I may ask, why all the passion for being against something that so many are equally passionate about?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every advancement of civilization that makes our lives so enjoyable today is the product of the human mind, and was made possible by a man who at one point devoted himself to the material world rather than the spiritual one; who was concerned with this life rather than some hypothetical afterlife; who at least in some way trusted in his own knowledge and understanding, rather than in the mumblings of mystics.

Maybe the man devoted his efforts to improving this world, but most of the advances of Western thinking have been by men who were greatly influenced by Christianity.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the man devoted his efforts to improving this world, but most of the advances of Western thinking have been by men who were greatly influenced by Christianity.

Kind of like this guy

Mind of Man.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you are making assumptions there to prove a point. No one is pretending that atrocities and genocide didn't happen by people professing to be Christians. It has happens throughout history on many levels. Those atrocities are clearly contrary to Christ's own words and the men that committed such will be judged.

My point is that there are millions upon millions of Christians that have worked and died (some at the hands of the previously mentioned) to improve this planet in ways no one will be able to comprehend. But that doesn't fit the atheist argument. Sorta like blaming the NRA for violent crimes. The real members get blamed for the things non-members do.

If I may ask, why all the passion for being against something that so many are equally passionate about?

They allegedly get judged.

We're where we are today not due to one ideology. It's the result of contributions from all over. I do find it more ambiguous to credit religion with any of it. I think that's too subjective, honestly.

I'm of the opinion that religion is toxic for humanity. We'd be better off without it. I think a lot people's passion for it was manufactured for them by their upbringing. It's all they know, it's all their friends know. They're sheltered and their world-view was painted for them, long before they had the critical thinking skills to choose it alone. Many of those same people think they can objectively scrutinize it, but I believe that the vast majority are incabable. It I could sum it up in 5 words or less... Religion is a thief.

As an example... I was signed up for something I do not endorse. I had no options. I would have rather been raised on earthly knowledge... Astronomy, geology, human history, evolution... But nope, I was raised to believe in magic. It provided all the "answers."

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt. I'm thankful that they were also influenced by the foundational Western values of logic, reason, inquiry and discovery that predate the invasion of our culture by Eastern philosophy, and are largely responsible for our culture's success.

I have to wonder how much better things could have been if such men had devoted even more of their lives and minds to improving this world, rather than on mystical pursuits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom