DRop out of school ... lose you driving privilage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State Sen, Bill Ford(Bartesville) introduced and had a bill passed in committee to revoke the driver's liscense of high school drop puts.I don't know about the restof you but I see a lot more "cons" to this than "pros".What say you, maybe I am not seeing something.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see pro's and cons to this, the biggest con I see is it's one more law on the books.

My fist wife was an emancipated minor at the age of 16 working and taking care of herself, she had to take the GED since she couldn't work enough to pay rent while going to school, (she is now a veteranarian and doing quite well for herself) How does this bill affect individuals like that?

This is another attempt at legislating parenting, it's being looked at because districts are faced with federal laws where they can be punished for non attendance of school age childeren. Yet we can't do anything to force them to attend.

I think it's wrong, I dropped out, but I also worked I didn't get to live at home with mommy and daddy when I quit school no DL would have meant far more difficulty holding down a job and would have lead in my case to vagrancy and crime ( I know how I was back then, the only thing I had going for me was work ethic)

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but what about home schooled kids?

I don't think it's a good idea. Some people drop out because they have no choice at the moment.

I had a friend who dropped out to take care of his family. His dad died years earlier, and his mom was fighting cancer. He ended up being the only one bringing in a paycheck and caring for the family. A few years later he finished his GED. If he had lost his driving privileges, it would have really screwed things up.

The government needs to quit meddling.

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so before everyone over reacts you might want to read the bill. not sure if I agree with it but what's being proposed is not what was presented to us. it only affects people under 18, not attending ANY type of school(including technical schools, or home school programs) who have not graduated or take a GED exam. Basically it says if you drop out and sit at home on the couch without trying to complete your education in any way shape or form. you don't get to drive until you turn 18.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fine. Drop out of school and can't drive to work and be a productive member of society. Instead, you can get board and break into your neighbors house.

Driving a cars within the bounds of the law has nothing to do with having a HS diploma or not. You're only adding to the problem and making it tougher for a person to be productive. If a kid is going to drop out, they're going to drop out. No sense in throwing up yet another barricade to their productivity. 16 and 17 year olds can and do get jobs.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The government needs to quit meddling.

I agree with this especially, and everything everyone above .45fats said.

Bad, all bad. How totally retarded do politicians have to be???

I'm doped up on coffee :coffee2: and tired... I didn't sleep well last night; so someone help me here... I can't think of ANYTHING good that could possibly be the result of this?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked full time in High School, didn't have to drop out, wasn't a stellar performer, but I did graduate.

My wife was on her own at 16, worked full time, and made it through High School as well, she was a stellar performer.

I think there needs to be some incentive to finish school and pursue some sort of education or training. I'm not sure restricting driving is it though.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taken a GED recently? First you have to find a scheduled test, you have to pay for the test then you have to wait to find out if you passed. So during that time since we live in such a public transit deficient state how is young billy or sue going to get to work and be productive while waiting to get their driving priveledges back? How much is it going to cost them to get a license reinstated?

It's another law and I disagree with it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom