DRop out of school ... lose you driving privilage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...• H.G. Wells.......best-selling British author (dropped out to help family earn income; later returned and went on to college)

• Jim Clark........self-made billionaire American businessman; founder of "Netscape"; first Internet billionaire (17, U.S. Navy)

• Jimmy Dean..........singer-songwriter-actor; self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder of the "Jimmy Dean

Foods" brand sausage business (16, U.S. Merchant Marines; 18, U.S. Air Force)

• Andrew Jackson......7th U.S. President; face is pictured on the U.S. twenty dollar bill (13, U.S. Continental Army; orphaned at 14; little formal education; home schooling/life experience; studied law in his late teens and became a lawyer)
• Leon Uris..........best-selling American author (Exodus, etc.) (17, U.S. Marines)

• Walter L. Smith.....former president of Florida A&M University (equivalency diploma, at age 23)

<deleted for brevity's sake>

• Roy Rogers..........actor-singer-guitarist

• Walter Nash.......New Zealand Prime Minister 1957-1960; knighted (United Kingdom: Sir Walter Nash)

• Olivia Newton-John.... singer-actress; British-born Australian author

• Rosa Parks.........U.S. civil rights activist-pioneer; Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient; Congressional Gold Medal recipient

All that list proves is you don't need much of an edumacation to be an entertainer or an artist.

Seriously though, the proposed law as written is bad law. There needs to be provisions to grant exceptions and the provisions need to provide for the expeditious review of such requests.

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of on the fence on this one. On one hand it is intrusion on what is essentially bad parenting, in some cases a bad school environment or other extenuating circumstances. And yes you are taking away a means of someone going and getting a job or whatever.

However, that fact alone may be enough to not motivate the student, but perhaps to motivate the parent(s) to help their kids stay in school so they won't be sitting at home getting into trouble when they could be going to work or whatever.

Another thing to think about is a lot of jobs are out of reach if you don't have a diploma or GED, which means you can't "move up", which means the state (i.e. us) usually ends up paying for welfare, food stamps or other subsidies. Yes I know not everyone who drops out is on welfare and all that, but I'll bet the majority are or will be.

As much as I hate to say it, the sate issues the drivers license so they have the right to put prerequisites around it.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All that list proves is you don't need much of an edumacation to be an entertainer or an artist.

Seriously though, the proposed law as written is bad law. There needs to be provisions to grant exceptions and the provisions need to provide for the expeditious review of such requests.

what about the fact that the top 40 under 40.. only 2 have masters and only 8 have completed college... they are all businessmen... and i don't even have to argue about bill gates the fact he dropped out of Harvard...

want another interesting statistic.. What university has the most active CEO's?? not all the GREAT BUSINESS SCHOOLS, but Wisconsin university!!!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a grain of hope:

The title is stricken. This means it is purely political posturing at this point. Even if the House passes the bill, it has to return to the Senate and the Senate has to vote again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom