DRop out of school ... lose you driving privilage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your statement is incorrect.
Bell v Burson

This finding, states that "Due Process" is a right, not driving a motor vehicle. The privilege the state affords you to drive, once extended, can only be removed by proper Due Process.

Agreed the state must have a valid reason not to extend the privilege, but still the state can deny the privilege to drive to an individual and set stipulations that control access to the privilege.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That incentive needs to come from the parent's, it's not something that can be legislated.

Many are completely checked out, don't care about the kids, or their education, just want to get them out of the house.

There is, it's called getting a better job, or being able to go to college.

My idea of an incentive would be drastically cutting welfare benefits. (at first... with the goal being completely eliminating it)

The market is alot tougher these days, used to be alot of opportunity to at least get on with a big company and have some opportunity for growth.

My point exactly, a good percentage of these drop outs are being supported by the "government", it's a bankrupting scenario, some work and pay, most just take the hand outs. The hand outs need to stop....

Why is that?

To get them off of the Government support roles....

Oh, great. A new crop of kids driving without a license and insurance. How good is this?

Most wont have insurance anyway as they can't afford it....

All that list proves is you don't need much of an edumacation to be an entertainer or an artist.

Seriously though, the proposed law as written is bad law. There needs to be provisions to grant exceptions and the provisions need to provide for the expeditious review of such requests.

I don't see too many recent names on that list, again, times have changed, attitudes have changed, work ethic has definitely changed.

I'm not advocating a law, but what is the solution for those of you that are opposed to this?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This finding, states that "Due Process" is a right, not driving a motor vehicle. The privilege the state affords you to drive, once extended, can only be removed by proper Due Process.

Agreed the state must have a valid reason not to extend the privilege, but still the state can deny the privilege to drive to an individual and set stipulations that control access to the privilege.

The decision was that a MV license was not a simple privilege and could not be revoked without due process.

To call a MV license a right or a privilege alone is incorrect. In reality it's somewhere in between.

jmwilliamson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one seems pretty simple to me. If you don't have a car, it is nearly impossible to find a job, or even go back to get your GED if you so desire. If we take driving privileges away, I think we're just creating a group of people with no jobs and few ways to get them.

This is just speculation on my part, but there's probably a pretty large number of people who drop out of high school because they need to work, not because they are just lazy...as a matter of fact, a few have posted on this thread. Those are the people that this bill would really hurt.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're assuming that kids going to school will get and stay off government support. That's one heck of an assumption.

Just to be clear there are alot of assumptions in this thread.

There is a clear case to be made that an education at least gives a person a better foundation to be self sufficient, that is not an assumption. It isn't a guarantee by any means, the individual and their motivation is a huge factor as well.

In a previous comment someone mentioned their assumption was that kids drop out of school to work, oddly I worked 40+ hours a week in both my Junior and Senior(80 in the Summer) years as did my wife. We covered all of our expenses, and made a living and supported ourselves, we bought our first house at age 20. It isn't easy, and it didn't leave time to "enjoy life" like so many want to do today, but we made it, and are still together 34 years later because we have the fortitude to stick it out, not run and blame it on the mean cruel world. Asking for help was never an option for us, when the going got tough we figured out a way to get through it, no Government assistance, ever. And just to confirm, I couldn't afford to drive at times, or afford to pay parking downtown so I rode the bus, or a bicycle....

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More government intrusion into our lives. You have schools that kids are afraid to attend, people graduating with a 8th grade reading level and you wanna pull their drivers liscences if they drop out? How bout we lock up the teachers if the students don't have a class average of C or better? Anyone????

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just dont see how they correlate which each other. Everyones situation is different so you cant "umbrella" the scenario and put restrictions. It wont pass so im not sure why i bothered to post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom