Drug testing at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, my employer (FAA) actually sent out a notice/warning about CBD oil. Short answer, don't use it. It makes sense to me...if they allow CBD use, someone could smoke pot and "mask" it by saying they are using CBD. Of course the levels would probably different but it clouds the water so to speak.

We get random screenings, either breathalyzer or urine.

Love how the OK law specifies an employee can't be terminated for usage... what about your aircraft mechanic, your neurosurgeon or your kids' bus driver? How do you feel about the uncertainty with knowing when and how much they use? But hey, Oklahomans voted for it, whether they read and understood the law and the consequences or not. lol

As SMS pointed out, the aviation industry is already federally regulated, and state law can't bind fed.gov. Similarly, I'm sure the various professional licensing agencies can step up: the hospital may not be able to fire you for using, but the board can suspend your license. I don't know what the license requirements are for school bus drivers, but I know truckers are federally regulated (including a medical exam, just like pilots).

I suspect the problem will sort itself out in time, just like with alcohol. As for the CBD oil making you pop hot, well, taking opioids will make you fail the test too, at which point you produce a copy of your valid prescription.

These are not intractable problems. There will be some teething, but nothing that can't be worked out (and we have more than a few example states to study and see what works).

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
As SMS pointed out, the aviation industry is already federally regulated, and state law can't bind fed.gov. Similarly, I'm sure the various professional licensing agencies can step up: the hospital may not be able to fire you for using, but the board can suspend your license. I don't know what the license requirements are for school bus drivers, but I know truckers are federally regulated (including a medical exam, just like pilots).

I suspect the problem will sort itself out in time, just like with alcohol. As for the CBD oil making you pop hot, well, taking opioids will make you fail the test too, at which point you produce a copy of your valid prescription.

These are not intractable problems. There will be some teething, but nothing that can't be worked out (and we have more than a few example states to study and see what works).

Oh I know, and I agree completely. I just find it funny how the whole thing is shaking out. Kinda like all these people who want to argue the point about the 4473s and such, etc. The whole situation makes me laugh, how little people understand what they vote for.

<edit> And you know as well as I do what is gonna happen to a cop who shoots someone on duty while he's taking Percocet 10s for his bum shoulder, prescription or not. That factor alone is gonna open a whole big can of worms... and yeah, I know officers out there working the streets in exactly that condition.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I know, and I agree completely. I just find it funny how the whole thing is shaking out. Kinda like all these people who want to argue the point about the 4473s and such, etc. The whole situation makes me laugh, how little people understand what they vote for.

<edit> And you know as well as I do what is gonna happen to a cop who shoots someone on duty while he's taking Percocet 10s for his bum shoulder, prescription or not. That factor alone is gonna open a whole big can of worms... and yeah, I know officers out there working the streets in exactly that condition.
Three weeks' paid vacation and a commendation for valor?

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I managed a technical service center in San Diego during the 70's. At that time (in San Diego) smoking pot wasn't a big deal Not sure I knew anyone that didn't other than my MIL. Anyway the two best hardest working technicians I ever had work for me were recreational pot uses and didn't hide it. As far as I know they never came to work high and if I needed something taken care of that was a sticky wicket I knew all I had to do was send one of them on the call. Wasn't unusual for one or both to give me a little present for Christmas.

This whole thing is way over blown by people that probably have never had any experience with pot that are acting like experts. If I owned a company today I would not do drug testing, I can tell when someone is high, pretty easy actually easier than I can tell if someone is coming to work half drunk. Alcoholics are better at hiding the fact than drug users.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I managed a technical service center in San Diego during the 70's. At that time (in San Diego) smoking pot wasn't a big deal Not sure I knew anyone that didn't other than my MIL. Anyway the two best hardest working technicians I ever had work for me were recreational pot uses and didn't hide it. As far as I know they never came to work high and if I needed something taken care of that was a sticky wicket I knew all I had to do was send one of them on the call. Wasn't unusual for one or both to give me a little present for Christmas.

This whole thing is way over blown by people that probably have never had any experience with pot that are acting like experts. If I owned a company today I would not do drug testing, I can tell when someone is high, pretty easy actually easier than I can tell if someone is coming to work half drunk. Alcoholics are better at hiding the fact than drug users.
well said

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired federal employee - I had to take the test about 10 years ago along with other CDL holders. We were all clean, but I knew of some employees who left work and didn't return when they were tapped out to pee in the cup.

Cedar Creek

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love how the OK law specifies an employee can't be terminated for usage... what about your aircraft mechanic, your neurosurgeon or your kids' bus driver? How do you feel about the uncertainty with knowing when and how much they use? But hey, Oklahomans voted for it, whether they read and understood the law and the consequences or not. lol

I agree with your entire statement. The "state" never thought it would pass. Once again, Mother Mary overvalued her position of "anointed guardian" of the state so they tried to undo the damage by using the Health Department as their Roman message runner -- unfortunately they forgot the messenger was often killed if the receiver was not pleased with the message delivered.

Additionally, for those of you don't know, depending on your body fat composition, how much you exercise, and your smoking habits (and I'm not talking about cigs), as well as all the other delivery methods, and sometimes even your diet, but to a much smaller extent, influence the amount of THC that will show up even though you haven't smoked in a certain time frame -- like a day, a week, or even longer.

I don't know exactly how to address these issues. If I did I'd be a billionaire right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom