Fall Garden ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been eating fresh tomatoes every night for the last 2 months. Given away quite a few and they're still bloomin and setting new fruit! just planted more radishes and spinach tonight.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is our first summer in OK and we planted about 20 tomato plants. I've grown toms plenty before (in OR & ID) without an issue but here they got huge, tons of blossoms, but would not set fruit... I got frustrated with them not producing so I ended up pulling them all - guess I should have been a little more patient!

BTW - "spanking" tomatoes is an excellent way to help them pollinate, especially with the lack of bees to do it for you... Tom blossoms don't need cross-pollination so "spanking" them helps agitate the pollen that gets sticky from humidity...

Trying to figure out what to put in our fall garden; any recommendations of decent nurseries in the SW OKC/Mustang area?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked our first ripe mator this morning. A little small but at least it ripened. Still have dozens of green ones and a few are going to get fried.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@ dennishoddy
Sure would like your pickled green tomatoe recipe! Have had a nice tomatoes harvest and canned a lot of whole,tomatoes and tomatoe sauce. My plant too are loaded with tomatoes still and I like pickled anything. So maybe if you share your recipe for those green tomatoes maybe I'll find a new favorite??? My piclkled okra didn't turn out too well.

Yes my tomatoes didn't syart ripening and setting fruit until much later this year too. Must be the ground gremlins.

I did plant some cantaloupe for the first time and just ate the last one. Boy they were awesome!

Just got one bed cleared and put in the butter lettuce, romane lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and garlic. We love garlic and I planted it mid Sept. last year and harvested huge bulbs of it this sping. It's something special. I tied sets of about 10 bulbs with their greenery together tied up with jute and hung in the garage to dry. We've been using it in everything and so I doubled the planting of garlic this year.
So dennishoddy.......please post how You pickle your green tomatoes as I would be mighty beholdin to ya! I have some
Different pickeling recipes but haven't been impressed with anything but my pickled eggs.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@ dennishoddy
Sure would like your pickled green tomatoe recipe! Have had a nice tomatoe harvest and canned a lot of whole tomatoes and tomatoe sauce. My plants too are loaded with tomatoes still and I like pickled anything. So maybe if you share your recipe for those green tomatoes maybe I'll find a new favorite??? My pickled okra didn't turn out too well.

Yes my tomatoes didn't start ripening and setting fruit until much later this year too. Must be the ground gremlins.

I did plant some cantaloupe for the first time and just ate the last one. Boy they were awesome!

Just got one bed cleared and put in the butter lettuce, romane lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and garlic. We love garlic and I planted it mid Sept. last year and harvested huge bulbs of it this sping. It's something special. I tied sets of about 10 bulbs with their greenery together tied up with jute and hung in the garage to dry. We've been using it in everything and so I doubled the planting of garlic this year.
So dennishoddy.......please post how You pickle your green tomatoes as I would be mighty beholdin to ya! I have some
Different pickeling recipes but haven't been impressed with anything but my pickled eggs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I was going to take a pic of my "secret pickling recipe", but its not going to happen. I seem to be out of it at the moment.

Its a pre-packaged dill pickle mix from Knorr that I get from Pyramid.

Cherry tomato's are left whole, but the larger ones are sliced one time from top to bottom. Try to stay with 2" fruits or smaller. Roma's or the meaty variety's are best.

I'll add some dried commercial pickling spice, fresh garlic, pepper, and a jalapeno or two, or three. Some of the jalapeno's are so mild anymore that they don't put a lot of heat into the mix.

If you have some bell pepper, slice them into strips, and put some of them into the jars as well. Do a couple of jars with nothing but the bell pepper, the mix and peppers by themselves. Its pretty tasty, and has a good flavor. Really good on a burger, etc.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well just my luck. I pulled the cherry tomatoes to make room for the fall garden items. Wonder if the larger
Green tomatoes can be pickled or is it a waste of time and money? Thanks anyway for looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom