Fall Garden ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My tomatoes also bit the dust, I pulled them out today. They sucked all year.

Do any of you have a favorite variety? I may try again in the spring.

I'm not good enough at this yet to have a favorite ... But I wanna know what kind RickN planted ... :D WOW!!

Ours died too and we pulled them today. This is what was hiding under the leafs.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

If anyone needs some greenies let me know.

Do you want me to pickle some of them for you? Just holler if you do ...

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not good enough at this yet to have a favorite ... But I wanna know what kind RickN planted ... :D WOW!!

Do you want me to pickle some of them for you? Just holler if you do ...

No clue what type they were, just something the wife picked up on a spur of the moment idea.

I think all together we picked around 300 off the two plants all together and I think I know how to make the plants do it again next year. I am going to take one plant and plant it a little away from the others and for the first month or two not let it produce any fruit. Pinching off the buds should let it keep putting it's energy into growing the plant. Once it spreads good and gets major roots, then I will let it start producing.

The green tomatoes are already gone. Family and friends snapped them up. Of course then I found a recipe for green tomato salsa. :(

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:rollingla Just my luck ... Oh well ... I'll hang onto that recipe because the picture with it looks really good. Description says they are "tartly sweet and crisp" ... Hmmmm ... Green tomato salsa, huh?? That sounds good, too ...

I may not have any tomatoes actually get ripe next year! :lookaroun :D

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I planted a tomato plant... It grew to about 5 inches tall & put it outside. It stayed alive, but stopped growing. Now it is a shriveled, sad little excuse for a tomato plant that is completely dead. Of course, I may have neglected my little garden this year once our baby was born in June... Yeah. I'll just use that as an excuse... As for all the other years of failed gardening... I have no excuse for them!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
game cam spring 2013 035.jpg
My tomatoes also bit the dust, I pulled them out today. They sucked all year.

Do any of you have a favorite variety? I may try again in the spring.
game cam spring 2013 034.jpg

I grow heirloom tomatoes - Cherokee Purples, Grandma Suzie's are my two favorites. Brandywine is a great one, also, Sioux is probably the best suited to hot, dry Oklahoma summers. It was developed at OSU in the 50s so I heard. Not as good eatin' as the other three I mentioned. Google The Tomato Man, thre's lots of info there.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some friends who after seeing my new 2 1/2 acre back yard said they love to garden and if it belonged to them they would have all kinds of crops, so I told them to come grow what they want and just let me skim off the side. They took one look at the rich black soil and said they would do it.
I may be a share cropper next year and they can share my peaches, apples, pears and Pecans to boot.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 33700View attachment 33699

I grow heirloom tomatoes - Cherokee Purples, Grandma Suzie's are my two favorites. Brandywine is a great one, also, Sioux is probably the best suited to hot, dry Oklahoma summers. It was developed at OSU in the 50s so I heard. Not as good eatin' as the other three I mentioned. Google The Tomato Man, thre's lots of info there.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll try the Sioux next year. I didn't have such good luck with Cherokee Purples -- never have, for some reason. Brandywines usually do good for me though ...

I have some friends who after seeing my new 2 1/2 acre back yard said they love to garden and if it belonged to them they would have all kinds of crops, so I told them to come grow what they want and just let me skim off the side. They took one look at the rich black soil and said they would do it.
I may be a share cropper next year and they can share my peaches, apples, pears and Pecans to boot.

Ohhhh ... that sounds like the PERFECT set-up ... You are a lucky, lucky fella ... I want your "yard" ... LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
View attachment 33700View attachment 33699

Im going to try the Sioux next time, I'll just order some off the interwebs. I looked at the package of my failed they were called "big red"- none got big on my vines

Latest posts

Top Bottom