Fall Garden ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are going to try a small one, carrots, letuce, broccoli, and cabage. We just got all the summer stuff cleared out and now waiting for the seeds to come in. We ordered seeds from "seedsnow.com" and they should be here in about a week.
Now I need to figure out some sort of border so my Rotterman will quit peeing on the veggies.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how are the fall gardens doing? And what are you doing for the freeze tonight? Our garden is looking ok, hard to tell since it's all growing under the dirt, but the broccoli and cabage are looking promising. I think I'm gonna make a cover out of plastic sheeting for the cold snap.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tomatoes and bell peppers are producing very well finally this year. my plants just didn't want to give anything until late, but thankfully i have a greenhouse around them now and should be able to keep them year round. have spinach and lettuce going as well.

i have my heater going for the freeze, along with the hot house roof closed. i built a hot house inside my greenhouse for those particularly cold oklahoma freezes.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're going to start working on our very first garden soon, but not really planting anything until Spring. I've stepped off a 25' X 30' corner of our backyard that gets good sunlight (actually, about the only place in my yard that's not wooded). I'm going to have to build a fence for that area so I don't just end up feeding rabbits. I'll be building the fence this Fall. I'll also be building some compost bins and maybe even doing some work on the irrigation system.

This may seem like no big deal to you gardeners, but this is a huge step for us city folk. We've never done anything like this and we are giddy with excitement. Giddy, I tell you.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're going to start working on our very first garden soon, but not really planting anything until Spring. I've stepped off a 25' X 30' corner of our backyard that gets good sunlight (actually, about the only place in my yard that's not wooded). I'm going to have to build a fence for that area so I don't just end up feeding rabbits. I'll be building the fence this Fall. I'll also be building some compost bins and maybe even doing some work on the irrigation system.

This may seem like no big deal to you gardeners, but this is a huge step for us city folk. We've never done anything like this and we are giddy with excitement. Giddy, I tell you.

We are city gardeners also, our garden is only about 12x15, but it's fun and exciting growing our own food. I'm just glad we dont have to depend on it as our only food source. lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tomatoes bit the dust last night. Asparagus is growing like a weed. So is spinach ... Everything else is kinda iffy but I think that might be because of where I planted it. I'll cover everything with a sheet tonight and uncover it during the day, but figure when the temps stay low during the day (there's a couple of days next week that are supposed to be extra chilly, I think) I'll go ahead and harvest everything and call it good for the winter.

I do have some ideas for winter gardening but am not set up for it as the edge of the El Reno tornado blew away my little greenhouse ... :( I have decided that I made my beds too big to make hoops to cover (at least to do so conveniently) so I am rethinking the size and layout of my backyard ... Nice days between now and spring are gonna be spent redoing the whole thing with an eye towards making it manageable for someone with a neck injury to be able to work smaller beds in a rotating fashion (as it is impossible for me to do a whole lot at one time without paying for it for days after) and make some smaller covers for winter, to extend my growing season.

I have some shelves (from the greenhouse that blew away) that I want to attach to the north fence (the pots will face the south) for herbs next spring ...

Want to set up a couple more potato barrels as I had pretty good results with those this year.

And I will have quite a bit of compost by the spring from the chickens and the rabbits ...

This last spring was just kinda piddling around ... Next spring will be some serious gardening ...

Now I'm gonna focus on growing stuff inside -- sprouting and fermentation (for the probiotics), until it's time for spring planting ...

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My tomatoes also bit the dust, I pulled them out today. They sucked all year.

Do any of you have a favorite variety? I may try again in the spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom