Fat guy shooting team?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How important is a chrome lined barrel on an AR?

Depends... how good are you with maintenance?

Corrosion resistance is the biggest plus about them, but you do lose a bit of accuracy over the chrome-moly.

If you clean it regularly, I'd get the chrome-moly. My Rock River has a chrome lined, but I got it because it is intended to be a trunk-gun one day. Because of that, it can be in the hot trunk for hours, then in an air conditioned building... which leads to condensation... the chrome lined helps prevent damage to the bore.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if I may... I'd suggest Rock River... but Rusty or Rhino would probably be able to enlighten you the most on that.

The price difference when I bought mine was only like $30 or so.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Charles Daly stripped lower for $99 and ordered the RRA 2 stage lower kit for $130, now I'm just trying to find an inexpensive but decent quality upper. BTW, my attention to maintenance is lacking.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Charles Daly stripped lower for $99 and ordered the RRA 2 stage lower kit for $130, now I'm just trying to find an inexpensive but decent quality upper. BTW, my attention to maintenance is lacking.

I've got serveral uppers that have been great.

Noveske 10.5" .223
Rock River 16" A2 .223
A no-name with a 20" heavy stainless Wilson barrel .223
An AO Tactical with a TROS barrel (9mm)
A Frankenbuild .22lr upper

I've heard good things about White Oak Armament barrels too. Depending on what you are planning on doing most uppers are going to be good. Yankee Hill Machine stuff looks pretty good too. Contact 10.5stang, he might be able to hook you up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom