Feral Pigs - A Road Hazard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey, most traps like that have a solid sheet of thin metal on the bottom outside of the door for them to push open and slide by. and +1 on makin it stout. hogs can tear up crap you wouldnt think they could. might see if you can get panels with smaller holes if you build anymore. the littler pigs will get out of that one. a freind of mine had one with smaller holes on the sides and big ones like that on the top. it was 4' tall. 25-30# pigs would "piggy back" off each other and jump out through the top. and also, most of the ones i see have a gate hinged at the top that slopes to the inside of the trap at the bottom. dont know if its because they work better, but thats what most guys seem to use.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen the traps with the door that slopes down. Everything I read said the pigs could root their way out of those.

I forgot about the panel you mentioned. I will add that.

I think the pigs we caught on camera are bigger than the holes in the cage. I guess I will see.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the ones i have seen ususally have a frame made of wide angle iron or something that the bottom and sides of the doors drops against so that when closed they cant get their nose behind the edges of the doors. and the doors are usually made of heavy stuff. but, i think once in a while one will figure out how to get out of about any of them. they will test every part of it before you get them out. and if their head will fit through it, they're gone.

good luck, maybe if you catch a bunch, an OSA hog fry would be a good idea:Heya:

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the ones i have seen ususally have a frame made of wide angle iron or something that the bottom and sides of the doors drops against so that when closed they cant get their nose behind the edges of the doors. and the doors are usually made of heavy stuff. but, i think once in a while one will figure out how to get out of about any of them. they will test every part of it before you get them out. and if their head will fit through it, they're gone.

good luck, maybe if you catch a bunch, an OSA hog fry would be a good idea:Heya:

Thanks for the pointers. This is my first pig rodeo!

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Saw two pigs dead on the road between Altus and Headrick (4 lane) .... also one car being towed away ...front end was totally trashed ... Just be careful out there ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom