Feral Pigs - A Road Hazard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_hogtrap.jpg

You might consider a stop for keeping the door from opening all the way and stretching the spring too far. If the holes on the gate are big enough they can grab with there mouth and pull it back open. (I wish I could find the link I found my tips on.) It was texas boar hunters or something similar. Here is the trap I built. I set it out on Wednesday night, and had 2 small pigs on Thursday night.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_hogtrap.jpg

You might consider a stop for keeping the door from opening all the way and stretching the spring too far. If the holes on the gate are big enough they can grab with there mouth and pull it back open. (I wish I could find the link I found my tips on.) It was texas boar hunters or something similar. Here is the trap I built. I set it out on Wednesday night, and had 2 small pigs on Thursday night.

I will add the stop today. I didn't think about that, thanks for the tip. I will be taking the trap out tomorrow morning.

I added a plate across the lower 1/3 of the door to help the pigs push the door open from the outside. That might help with them trying to grab it and pull it open from the inside. I also added a lot more triangulated bracing to make it more big hog proof...

What are your thoughts about pre-bating them to get the pigs accustom to the trap before setting it?

Waterfowler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has never had much interest in hunting, but she has expressed numerous times how she would love to go and shoot a hog. Anyone know of any land owners who would be willing to accommodate a family pig hunt?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will add the stop today. I didn't think about that, thanks for the tip. I will be taking the trap out tomorrow morning.

I added a plate across the lower 1/3 of the door to help the pigs push the door open from the outside. That might help with them trying to grab it and pull it open from the inside. I also added a lot more triangulated bracing to make it more big hog proof...

What are your thoughts about pre-bating them to get the pigs accustom to the trap before setting it?

You can bait a little before hand, but if you have the trap ready, I would just set it, bait it and check it daily. I wish I took pics of it set, I have a dowel rod that is grooved on one end, rounded on the opposite end. I tie a small diameter string to the rounded end and run it out the top and across the top toward the rear of trap. I use the dowel rod to prop door open (groove end goes against panel wire, rounded end against the top of door.(1"sq tubing) The string is tied close to the door end of dowel rod to require less to pull it free. The opposite end of the string is dropped down into trap, from the top (approx 18" in from end) and tied to the top of a 2 gallon feed bucket. When the pigs knock it around they pull the dowel rod out. My trap will allow more hogs to "root" or push in the door to get in. The door propped open seems to help the weary ones enter.

Before setting the trap I dig a hole about 18" deep and about the diameter of a 5 gallon bucket. I put soured corn, mixed with a little hog wild in hole to keep all the feed from being cleaned up real quick. (trap has a 4"x4" square floor) I set the trap over the hole, (hole about 2' from end opposite of the door end) I then pour some corn through the top down into the bucket, and a little in front of trap leading into the trap. I try to not enter trap or handle it anymore than necessary to keep my scent off.

5 little ones in it tonight. I found out tonight, that the landowner shot at some big ones on Tuesday evening. That may be why they are avoiding the trap that I put out Wednesday evening.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_hogs6.jpg

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took out the trap this morning, but didn't set it. I did check the game camera and had about 400 pictures of deer, hogs, coyote, etc... The boar on the left is the biggest of all I have seen so far.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

I am going out in the morning to check the cameras. If the pigs are eating the bait inside the trap, I will set it then.

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a bunch of feral hogs over by my buddies house east of Guthrie. None of them make it over to my house which is only about 2 miles away. I wish they would... The Tikka and Sig need to stretch their legs... And I could use some more meat in the freezer. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom