First sleep study this week. What should I expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built one with a small 12v fan blowing into a 2" pvc reduced to 1/2" and plugged at the end drilled a hole in the plug for the nose hose to attach for use at deer camp. Worked as good as the $2000 one my insurance paid for
The Respiratory Therapist in me is having an eye twitch at this, probably followed by a WTF!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many have said, it is not a comfortable process. I also feel it is not a required process. If you have the symptoms of apnea, heavy snoring, pauses in breathing while sleeping, etc, my recommendation is to check on craigslist for an automatic cpap. You can usually find an almost brand new one for 300 or less. Go on youtube for instructions on how to change the pressure level and set is wide open. There is no risk to using a cpap, and the process of getting one officially is insanely expensive. I used the process I described above for my first cpap. I later looked into getting a sleep study, it was going to be almost 5k out of pocket. I said no thanks and continued being an outlaw.

i don’t know if I would recommend this exact approach but I have some similar. My doc office just up and disappeared one day. I was still snoring with my cpap on (according to my wife, at least. My snoring never bothers me LOL). I bumped mine up to a higher range since it’s a bipap and it fixed it for me. I didn’t go full bore though LOL.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YouTube to learn how to adjust a medical device that has potential to save your life? Ummm , very bad advice my friend.
Oh? It’s an air pump. An automatic machine set to full range will detect pressure needs and adjust during sleep. The dme will do the same thing in the back of the store while you aren’t watching and charge you a lot of money for it.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Expect to be ready to go to sleep at 9 PM. They'll be done with you at 5 AM. I was not prepared for this - I'm a night owl.
You'll get a lot of wires attached to monitor respiration, pulse, brainwaves etc.
You start out without the CPAP to get a baseline.
After they wake you up in the middle of the night and attach you to the CPAP expect the best sleep you've had in years. I was really disappointed I couldn't take the CPAP home with me, it made a huge difference. I use the mask that covers the nose and mouth and had no problems adapting to it.
This ^^^^^^^^^ best sleep ever, I run mine dry

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Expect to be ready to go to sleep at 9 PM. They'll be done with you at 5 AM. I was not prepared for this - I'm a night owl.
You'll get a lot of wires attached to monitor respiration, pulse, brainwaves etc.
You start out without the CPAP to get a baseline.
After they wake you up in the middle of the night and attach you to the CPAP expect the best sleep you've had in years. I was really disappointed I couldn't take the CPAP home with me, it made a huge difference. I use the mask that covers the nose and mouth and had no problems adapting to it.
Got this done Wednesday night. The above is exactly how it went. First couple of hours weren't any fun. Then they woke me up and put the machine on me. Absolutely some of the best sleep I've had in a long time. Now I'm excited to get my machine and start using it. I appreciate all the advice and recommendations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom