First-World Problems Are The Worst...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 264411

You're just messin' with me, right? Seriously... No, they don't. As I said, we get a signal (AT&T network/towers with PureTalkUSA) but it's marginal. It's supposed to be 4GLTE but downloading anything is a real struggle. It REALLY reminds me of dialup.
Puretalk was the worse wireless service I have ever used. Even though they use the att network, they throttle back the speeds and prioritize service including phone and text to the bottom. You might try a month of ATT on the prepaid plan to see if the service is any better. I can’t believe Sean Hannity still promotes that crappy service.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as using the service, I can't tell any difference over AT&T which costs over twice as much. Their customer service is horrible. I had AT&T before moving here.

Several people have told me US Cellular is the best here but I guess they roam on other networks outside Oklahoma? That's what I was told by someone that uses their service...haven't looked to see if that's true.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 264411

You're just messin' with me, right? Seriously... No, they don't. As I said, we get a signal (AT&T network/towers with PureTalkUSA) but it's marginal. It's supposed to be 4GLTE but downloading anything is a real struggle. It REALLY reminds me of dialup.

I don’t know how accurate the information is about 5G service, but T-Mobile shows they have coverage in your area. Might be worth looking into.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the prepaid is about the same price as going through the reseller/broker puretalk. You are dealing with a layer of bs going that route. And you must not have had to deal with the pure talk lack or customer service. What a nightmare!

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the downside of living in a rural area is the lack of choices when it comes to things like internet and cell phone service.

Cell coverage is barely adequate at our home, even with a booster. But at least it works most of the time.

I had to go back to satellite internet. HughesNet, to be specific. Satellite internet is a small step up from dial-up. I last had satellite internet in the early 2000s living in the Colorado mountains. It sucked then and in 20 years it really hasn't improved. It has, however, increased in price for the same crappy service.

It's supposed to be 25 mbps download speeds. It actually averages more than that...when it's actually downloading something. I can't even play a 1 minute YouTube video thru the first time without buffering about every 10 seconds. It really sucks.

I've pre-ordered Starlink...but the website says it may not be available until next year sometime.

Oh, well. I'd rather live in a rural area with bad cell phone and internet service than a city. Guess that's just part of the cost of admission to the lifestyle choices.

I hope you all can appreciate the suffering some of us go through, though. I'd like to see some celebrity do one of those "starving kids in Africa" type of video for those of us with bad internet in rural areas. Might help our plight...

:cry11:
You have probably already checked, but these are a couple of carriers in our area. 360 Communications and Statewide Communications.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 264411

Ask around to your neighbors to see if anyone has Verizon on their phones and see how their signals are. Back quite some time ago, we were on AT&T and lived out in the country between Tuttle and Mustang, and if I wanted to answer my cell phone, I literally had to step outside to talk on it. I couldn't do anything inside the house. We also had @Link at the time and the tower we were on was an old, crappy one. We checked with Verizon because we had heard about their MiFi unit, which is a Jetpack. After telling them of our problem, they said that if the MiFi didn't work, we could bring it back. It worked for our internet, so when our contracts ended with AT&T on the phones, we switched to Verizon with them as well. AT&T had other problems with their services as well, so it was great getting away from them.

Another thing we like about the Verizon MiFi is that if needed, we can take it along with us anywhere and even use the wife's laptop in the vehicle out on the highway.

Our MiFi Jetpack looks like this one.

MiFi Jetpack

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to find out which service has the best signal where you are and see if you can get a WiFi hotspot through them.

My hotspot provider just switched to T-Mobile towers and it gave me a huge increase in download speed here.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The service tech that had T-Mobile barely got the HughesNet account activated because he was trying to get a signal on his phone. Took forever. So I can say with authority that T-Mobile does not have 5G service here. Verizon...is the service I had before PureTalk. No signal at all out here. Could sometimes get a signal strong enough to make a text at the gate...650 feet from the house. I had Verizon when I first started looking at this place.

I've checked every option I can find. I'm just hoping the Starlink equipment arrives in the next 6 months or so.

Oh... This house isn't even wired for a phone landline. There's no phone on the county road in front of the house, either. I didn't think there was anywhere in the lower 48 that didn't have phone lines.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OEC fiber will be in my future soon.
After nearly 20 years of suffering with satellite service, OEC fiber out of Norman was extended to our place near Mustang last year. I thought I'd died and gone to broadband heaven. With satellite we had 2 - 5 MB/s upload and much less download (as long as it wasn't raining or snowing or icing), that worked sort of most of the time - with a lot of buffering - for $95/month. With OEC fiber, we have 100 MB/s up and down, with service solid as a rock 24/7 rain or shine for about half that, with an option to upgrade to 1 GB/s for another twenty bucks or so a month. So far, I've found that 100 MB/s is faster than I can make use of anyway, so have seen no need for the 1 GB service, which would be like driving a Lambo to Walmart and back. OEC is Stupid fast, and never breaks (at least not once so far). Calling up Hughes.net and canceling (and calling up AT&T and canceling DirecTV) were two of the most enjoyable phone calls I've ever made, followed closely by telling my roofer to throw those two antennas in the dumpster when we got our new roof put on. Good luck, and trust me, I feel your pain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom