First-World Problems Are The Worst...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No kidding... It's horrible. Stay in the city, people! You don't want to come out here. Not a Starbucks for 75 miles in any direction...
Amen. And because in an emergency, Sheriff's deputies can be a half hour or even more away, many rural folks own and know how to use ugly, scary and dangerous-looking guns - sometimes even black ones. Some of them even have clips and bullets and stuff like that. Much safer to stay in town.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel you. We have the same problem out near Bristow. Only with nonexistent cell coverage as well. Satellite internet is slow, has low data caps, and is crazy expensive.
Catt57: At our new place off Hwy 16 about 8 miles N/W of Bristow we were recommended by member Rawhide on here to give Atlink out of Stillwater a try. Spoke to them on the phone and they explained how they work and what they offer. Sounded great so we set up a service tech, he came out and checked service/reception and it was strong. Got setup with them and been very happy for the past 6 weeks with them. Wife works remotely from home and is super happy. We are both on the computers at night and no issues and even with foul weather it has been great so far. Give them a call and it may work in your area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen. And because in an emergency, Sheriff's deputies can be a half hour or even more away, many rural folks own and know how to use ugly, scary and dangerous-looking guns - sometimes even black ones. Some of them even have clips and bullets and stuff like that. Much safer to stay in town.
That half hour time limit allows for the back hoe to make a hole and cover it up.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of the downside of living in a rural area is the lack of choices when it comes to things like internet and cell phone service.

Cell coverage is barely adequate at our home, even with a booster. But at least it works most of the time.

I had to go back to satellite internet. HughesNet, to be specific. Satellite internet is a small step up from dial-up. I last had satellite internet in the early 2000s living in the Colorado mountains. It sucked then and in 20 years it really hasn't improved. It has, however, increased in price for the same crappy service.

It's supposed to be 25 mbps download speeds. It actually averages more than that...when it's actually downloading something. I can't even play a 1 minute YouTube video thru the first time without buffering about every 10 seconds. It really sucks.

I've pre-ordered Starlink...but the website says it may not be available until next year sometime.

Oh, well. I'd rather live in a rural area with bad cell phone and internet service than a city. Guess that's just part of the cost of admission to the lifestyle choices.

I hope you all can appreciate the suffering some of us go through, though. I'd like to see some celebrity do one of those "starving kids in Africa" type of video for those of us with bad internet in rural areas. Might help our plight...

:cry11:
Have you looked into a T-Mobile WiFi hot spot? Super fast and 5g ready for only $50 a month. Best internet I"ve ever had in rural area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked into a T-Mobile WiFi hot spot? Super fast and 5g ready for only $50 a month. Best internet I"ve ever had in rural area.
Don't you require a great internet signal before wifi is great?
You can get a great wifi signal but zero internet during outages. Two different things.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't you require a great internet signal before wifi is great?
2-3 bars cell strength with 150-250 meg download, streaming multiple devices and one heavy duty gamer in the house...and my fire stick never hiccups. When you call T-Moble they will assess your signal strength based on your address first to see if your home is a good candidate for service. I know several people who take their T-Mobile hotspots with them when they go camping. So, even the 4g areas with 1-2 bars offer a decent streaming signal strength.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the downside of living in a rural area is the lack of choices when it comes to things like internet and cell phone service.

Cell coverage is barely adequate at our home, even with a booster. But at least it works most of the time.

I had to go back to satellite internet. HughesNet, to be specific. Satellite internet is a small step up from dial-up. I last had satellite internet in the early 2000s living in the Colorado mountains. It sucked then and in 20 years it really hasn't improved. It has, however, increased in price for the same crappy service.

It's supposed to be 25 mbps download speeds. It actually averages more than that...when it's actually downloading something. I can't even play a 1 minute YouTube video thru the first time without buffering about every 10 seconds. It really sucks.

I've pre-ordered Starlink...but the website says it may not be available until next year sometime.

Oh, well. I'd rather live in a rural area with bad cell phone and internet service than a city. Guess that's just part of the cost of admission to the lifestyle choices.

I hope you all can appreciate the suffering some of us go through, though. I'd like to see some celebrity do one of those "starving kids in Africa" type of video for those of us with bad internet in rural areas. Might help our plight...

:cry11:
I have terrible reception at my house and had Viasat for 4 years, but it is overpriced and I hate data caps. Buy a modified LTE modem/router capable of 3x or greater carrier aggregation and 2x2 MIMO. About $400 for the setup and $25 a month for an ATT tablet plan. 40 mbps down, 3 up. No caps, no throttling. If I had better reception, I could pull 100 download speeds, but I live in the hills and am not quite ready to put up a rohn tower.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2-3 bars cell strength with 150-250 meg download, streaming multiple devices and one heavy duty gamer in the house...and my fire stick never hiccups. When you call T-Moble they will assess your signal strength based on your address first to see if your home is a good candidate for service. I know several people who take their T-Mobile hotspots with them when they go camping. So, even the 4g areas with 1-2 bars offer a decent streaming signal strength.
At home on our wireless link that is so far they had to special order a high gain antenna for our home, we get in the area of 12 gigs of download speed and 1.2-1.4 gigs of upload speed. Previously a satellite hookup that was worthless. With this setup we can stream to our TV without buffering.
But, there are times when the wifi is full strength but there is no data on it. We get alerts on our phones and TV when that happens.
You have in the transmission world a carrier, and then you have data that resides on that carrier. You can lose that data and retain the carrier because the carrier is always there, but the internet provider sending that data to the provider has a problem and can no longer send the data.
In the transmission world (back in my day anyway) there are channels, groups, super groups and so on that are there to carry the data on top of the transmission frequency that was on that particular frequency.
We run on to this all the time while in the RV at campsites. They advertise Wi-Fi but in actuality they buy a home unit and think it will supply enough bandwidth to feed a hundred RV's that will be trying to stream from it. They don't understand how it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom