Folks On Food Stamps Have Good & Expensive Tastes When it Comes to Food.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously? "Beans and cornbread?" Come on CJ, that's just plain mean spirited. If the people reselling food or otherwise committing fraud, then prosecute them and kick them off the program, but don't begrudge them food because they are poor.

I'm not begrudging them food because they are poor - and if those on assistance eat a "standard" diet, I fully expect that - I was just commenting that they should be thankful for whatever they're given. I'm not even the one griping about them being on assistance....I was only responding to the one comment about them having a "right to splurge" for a party or something, with taxpayer dollars. I don't believe that's right. Sustenance is the goal - not gluttonous abuse of the forced assistance of others - even for a party.

For the record, I don't gripe about the whole "welfare" thing anymore; I figure the dollar will eventually collapse, and/or the handouts will sooner or later run dry, and this issue will take care of itself - almost assuredly with disasterous consequences.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She was at the checkout for an hour and a half! The cashiers face was priceless! lol

Helk yeah! They need to give classes on that stuff. lol.

Now that's just stupid. Groceries are not worth getting charged with fraud! This lady had an excel spreadsheet on one of those portable tabloids, or whatever, of everything she wanted. Talk about organized! lol

Some of those folks have made as much in one shopping trip as I used to make in a 50-60 hour work week (and I had to deal with those damned lawyers!! LOL) ... not a bad way to make a living

As a matter of fact, when we were at Red Dawn last they told me they were going to put on an Extreme Couponing class ... I can hardly wait ...

I KNOW ... I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!!!

your money? did you directly give it to them? you want "abuse to stop" yet what have you done to get it stopped? I guarantee what you pay into that program a year doesn't equal what any one person gets from it a year...

quit your damn bitching and do something people

No kidding ...

I wasn't "blaming" them for wanting to be frugal - my comment was meant in jest, hence the wink. However, since you're taking it more seriously than intended, what if it was the only checkout line available? Would you want to wait behind such a person for an hour and a half? Kudos to people who want to stretch their dollar to the maximum, but when it inconveniences other shoppers to that extent, you have to ask yourself, "At what point does it stop being financially responsible and start being socially irresponsible?"

When the person behind me (who can go to another register if they are in that big a hurry) starts paying my grocery bill THEN I'll worry about the niceties of "social responsibility" ... I adore you and all but, seriously ... And as for the poor cashier ... they gotta be there 8 hours anyway. The way I look at it is I'm saving them from possibly having to go home early because it's too slow to have that X number of cashiers on the clock.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get X amount of money, spend that amount of money and be done with it. If that means eating lobster, so be it. My biggest beef is that they can use them at QT or somewhere like that. I have been into the QT at 51st/sheridan several times and seen the same person buying 50 dollars in lottery tickets but turns around to put $3 in fountain drinks and slushies on the food stamp card. Last time I saw it I said something to them. It wasn't pretty but I stood my ground. She got caught abusing the system and was mad I had the nerve to say something. I didn't do anything else about it, such as report her. I said something to her and went on with my day.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, because DHS wanted you to comply with certain requirements and would not just write you a check, it is "a worthless program" for "lazy, worthless, freeloading assholes?" And i'll bet you consider yourself a good Christian....

Not even close, farthest thing from it. But I am a honest tax paying citizen who needed help, who never asked for a handout in his life and couldnt get it. I meet all the requirements you speak of but they needed time to confirm... I didnt have time.. I had hungry mouths to feed.. However, I know of many people on this program who gets everything they need to not work a day in there life. And what the hell does being a "good christian" have to do with anything....

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the person behind me (who can go to another register if they are in that big a hurry) starts paying my grocery bill THEN I'll worry about the niceties of "social responsibility" ... I adore you and all but, seriously ... And as for the poor cashier ... they gotta be there 8 hours anyway. The way I look at it is I'm saving them from possibly having to go home early because it's too slow to have that X number of cashiers on the clock.

BB, my initial post was in jest, but when I got serious, I was using the example of someone taking an hour and half to go through coupons at the checkout counter. Maybe it's just me, but that seems pretty excessive. I'm all for people using coupons to shave some money off their total bill - heck, I've used coupons myself - but I've also been in a situation where there weren't enough people in the store for more than one checkout counter to be open, so I was stuck waiting for this one woman searching through her purse for coupons and then checking them against what she wanted to purchase. Then there have been times when a number of checkout lanes were operating, but the lines at each were long, so it became a question of "Do I give up my spot behind this couponer and go to the rear of a long line, or will this person finish anytime soon?"

So while I'm in favor of saving money, I have to question the extremes to which people will go to do that (i.e., an hour and half??), if it means inconveniencing other people to an extent that might seem - well, inconsiderate.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, my initial post was in jest, but when I got serious, I was using the example of someone taking an hour and half to go through coupons at the checkout counter. Maybe it's just me, but that seems pretty excessive. I'm all for people using coupons to shave some money off their total bill - heck, I've used coupons myself - but I've also been in a situation where there weren't enough people in the store for more than one checkout counter to be open, so I was stuck waiting for this one woman searching through her purse for coupons and then checking them against what she wanted to purchase. Then there have been times when a number of checkout lanes were operating, but the lines at each were long, so it became a question of "Do I give up my spot behind this couponer and go to the rear of a long line, or will this person finish anytime soon?"

So while I'm in favor of saving money, I have to question the extremes to which people will go to do that (i.e., an hour and half??), if it means inconveniencing other people to an extent that might seem - well, inconsiderate.

Oh ... gotcha! I agree with ya there ... if you are gonna do all that you gotta have your **** together ... I started another thread ... go over there and harrass me!! LOL

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to answer your question but then I found the second post, which sums it up nicely. The only other thing I'd say is that I think it sucks that those buying their food with MY money would eat better than I do.

Why does it bother you? If you need food stamps, get them. If you don't want them, get a second job. Why is it up to you to determine what is good enough for them, just because you don't get it? Pretty petty sounding to me, rather elitist.

I try to be frugal with what I spend on food because I'm using money that I could also spend on ammo. However, if it's food stamps, why not buy better food? You have a fixed amount per month, and you have to spend it on food, so if you can work steak and lobsters into a sensible budget I don't know why you wouldn't get them.

If the guy is reselling them or committing fraud in some other way then I can understand why people would be mad.

I agree, as long as it is not fraud, who cares?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me.....they have a "RIGHT" to "splurge" on assistance money fleeced from the paychecks of others? They don't have a "RIGHT" to sh*t.......they should be thankful to get beans and cornbread from the forced charity of others.

Maybe they should personally kiss your feet for what they get. I honestly hope you are not in the situation that you have to use them. If you are, I hope you do not have to deal with people with attitudes like this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom