Ford Ranger 3.0l

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some advice gents, I have a 94 Ranger than I am pretty certain has a blown head gasket. I am thinking that it is probably best to get it rebuilt but I'm not sure? Any advice?

Has anyone here used any shops in OKC for a motor rebuild?

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many miles on your engine? Rebuilding the whole motor just for a head gasket sounds a bit extreme. If it doesnt smoke or knock it may be ok with just headwork. We did heads on one about a month ago. I cant remember how much that run but im sure it was cheaper than a complete rebuild.

We hardly rebuild motors anymore. Ive been buying from ebay because I can usually get a better deal with warranty than taking it to a machine shop here. Alot of the machine shops ive dealt with around are kind of a PITA they act like they dont need your business. Plus only offer a short warranty period

Tulsa Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost every Ford 3.0 head I see after a "blown head gasket" is cracked. When you remove the heads do a quick visual inspection of the chambers. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, sometimes you can't see it. If you decide to do just a head gasket replacement, at the very least have them magnafluxed (checked for cracks) and surfaced.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its been mentioned already but at this point I would assume the head(s) are cracked (using coolant, loss of compression/misfire???). Those are tough little engines but like most others if abused and/or overheated their parts will fail. I have seen far more cracked heads than headgaskets but you might have one of the rare ones. Don't forget to factor in all the nickels and dimes in the cost of an engine replacement. Things like filters, fluids, gaskets, belt, hoses, ignition/tune-up parts, water pump, clutch (if manual trans), motor mounts etc, most of that stuff is cheap buying it a few pieces at a time but you can quickly add $500-$1000 to the budget for the little things that are bad or should be replaced while you're there.

I would look into reman engines vs rebuilt. Compare cost, guarantee and warranty of the two. Most of the reman engines I dealt with will pay a labor claim too if the install was done to meet their requirements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom