Fried Okra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OMG!!!! Fried Okra is my all time favorite side dish. And I could eat it as a full meal if my wife would let me.

1625799457365.png

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stillwell frozen already breaded is a staple around my house, keep several bags in the freezer. I have a deep fat fryer of peanut oil on my deck always ready for fish I catch on a regular basis. After battering the fish (I use half Shawnee's Best self rising corn meal, half flower, ungodly amount of black pepper, little salt, Cajun seasoning to coat the fish and other stuff in), wet thin onion slices go into the left over batter, then jalapeno slices, then the already breaded okra, and then finish up with potato slices. The potato slices seem to clean up the oil some but still taste great.

I do not seem to get tired of eating that. If not doing fish, I just put half a bag of frozen okra it in a skillet on the stove to fry with a little oil, a few chopped onions about half way through and sometimes a little minced garlic. I do take time to chew up the seeds for extra flavor. I can not stand slimy boiled okra in anything. Just me. Thanks for sharing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love home made fried okra.
Never could keep the breading on it though. The breading would basically fall off, so we ended up with fried okra bare and fried breading in a pile.
Finally discovered that using baking powder in the breading mix made it stick to the okra. Life was good after that.
Haven’t tried it yet but I’m hearing that folks are deep frying the entire breaded pod vs slices.
Less work slicing them up and your not messing with the slime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom