Generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
So, if you want to do this correctly (read not possibly electrocute a power company worker) you can use a portable generator and a breakout box that wires into your main breaker box. All pole power goes to the new breaker box first, then from the new box to the to the main breaker box and feeds your house. When you need the generator, you run a 4 wire line from it (they make them, or you can make one yourself) to the new breaker box, and then fire up the portable and cut over to it. When the main pole power is restored, you simply cut back to it and kill the portable. This is the proper way. I have heard of people hooking up a reverse line into a 220 socket in the house directly from the portable, but this has the unfortunate side effect of energizing the pole line, and the poor schmuck that is working on the pole line that he thinks is dead gets a full hit off your generator. Or you can go full bore and set up an auto cutover switch and gen plant and you don't have to worry about starting up the generator, switching over, etc. Here's a link: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...-Pick-the-Perfect-Manual-Transfer-Switch.html

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0198.JPG

Ordered me one of these today, enough to run fan on heater and a few lights. 2000IS

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 76

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10K surge, 8600 load electric start.
It stays in a remote building. When the time comes to use it, I have built an adapter that plugs into the gen set and then wires into the main in the shop that is fed by the house. IKind of a PIA to hook up, but it only takes 30 minutes or less.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, had mine hard wired in by an electrician. Didn't want to bug zap my friends who work for OG&E. And, apparently, you are no longer allowed to do it yourself according to code.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're total electric with a heat pump, and my 16k PTO gen will run it fine, but can't run the hot water heater and well at the same time as the heater. Have to switch a few breakers every once in a while so not too big of a deal..

This post reminded me of an episode of Green Acres tv program.
Gabor had to plug and unplug different parts of the house to prevent blowing a fuse.
Ok, back to our regular scheduled program. Sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom