Geological Provinces of Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I want to say that I am NO geologist so I will offer no explanation as to what these maps mean in reguards to the recent OK earthquakes. I don't know if anyone has posted them before(if you have, I apologize), but I just thought that they were interesting do to the recent swarms of quakes in OK.

1. http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/geology/ok.geo.provinces.small.gif
2. http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/geology/ok.geo.provinces.large.gif
3. http://www.ogs.ou.edu/MapsBasic/Provinces.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Faults all around the state, all over the country for that matter. Quakes are basically centered around OKC area.
Drilling / fracking going on all over the state, and country.
Therefore, how in the hell can the quakes be caused by fracking?

Last edited:

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
skeptoid.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2014_05_yellowstone.jpg

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Faults all around the state, all over the country for that matter. Quakes are basically centered around OKC area.
Drilling / fracking going on all over the state, and country.
Therefore, how in the hell can the quakes be caused by fracking?

About 15 years ago I was researching more information about the New Madrid earthquake and its historical effects but learned a little about earthquakes in the process. I'm not an expert on earthquakes or geology but if I remember correctly earthquakes have always been very common in Oklahoma. The difference in recent years has been the strength. Keep in mind that the New Madrid quake centered in southeast Missouri was so strong that the Mississippi River flowed north and was felt on the east coast. It also hasn't recurred at that level for more than 200 years. An expert on a local news channel last night said that the quakes are occurring much deeper than the fracking is likely to affect.

Isn't it likely we are just experiencing a natural cycle of increased strength in activity? That's not to say the potential isn't serious but only that the events are not man made.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listning to the news and what I hear our children are being taught in schools, I thought man was the cause of everything happening from hurricanes, tornadoes, drought, floods, wind blowing, snow falling, and now earthquakes. I thought we did not have these before man started living. Thats why we gave up our good light bulbs our toilets that really flush, bug killers that really kill bugs, and gasoline that did not screw up our lawnmowers. Things just happening in nature? Not a chance, we have to explain how evil man caused it. How does it feel that we are so powerful, we can control the tides, sunspots, and the magma to the center of the earth. WoW

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's also pertinent to note that the earthquake activity in California has dropped off to well below the activity level and rate in Oklahoma. That suggests that stresses that were being relieved on the west coast are now being relieved here in the mid-west. The graph I saw showed the California activity dropping off at the same time and rate as Oklahoma's increased.

I suggest you dig a moat around your house and put your house on pontoons. (I say that only half way in jest.)

Woody

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a geologist and anyone with a scientific mind will say that the odds of oil & gas production (fracking, salt water disposal, waterflood fields, etc) being the cause of the earthquakes are very small. Like the poster said above,.. earthquakes are not new to this region. On the other hand,.. oil and gas production IS VERY NEW in respect to the time that earthquakes have been occurring. Evidence of earthquakes goes back billions of years,... modern oil and gas production goes back to the early 1900's. Also, earthquakes are not specifically occurring in oil & gas producing areas. For example,... the Permian Basin where I work properties has zero earthquakes and is one of if not the largest areas that use fracking, water disposal and water injection methods. If any oil & gas area is going to have earthquakes due to fracking or injection,... there wouldn't be a home or building standing from Hobbes, NM all the way to Big Spring, TX.

On the other hand,.. anyone with a scientific mind also cannot say that these methods are not the cause of earthquakes only because we cannot measure the fluid movement or fracture growth (other than near wellbore fractures) in the subsurface.

I personally do not think fracking or injection have anything to do with the recent string of stronger earthquakes. I would hope that anyone looking at all the evidence would have a similar conclusion. In my mind,.. this is another case of humans thinking they are more important and significant than they really are.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also on a side note,..... the Los Angeles basin in California has some of the largest oil & gas fields in North America. They pump so much water back under Long Beach because it would sink if they didn't replace all the fluid they are taking out. Go read about the Wilmington Field.

Nobody,.... I mean NOBODY has ever accused the oil & gas production to be the cause of the earthquakes in CA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom