Getting fit - anyone else trying to turn it around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really let myself go through the pandemic. Just started working out again. It’s just time to change it up. My goal is to lose about 50lbs by the end of the year. I’ve done it several times in my life. It gets harder every year to crawl out of the hole when you get behind.

One thing I noticed, just a little bit of exercise and improvement in diet totally reduces stress and improves outlook.

Anyone else getting started? If anyone wanted to get together for a hike or some hill climbs at Arcadia or somewhere I would be interested in that also.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stepped on the dog scale when I had Gus at the vet this morning. I weighed 325 dressed and carrying my 1911. Got to get in better shape before hunting season for sure.
I see that you’re 70. Too much food will kill you quicker than anything. I’ve been around guys at 70 that are stronger and more capable than most young men now.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I got a slap-in-the-face diagnosis...diabetes. I was 255. I quit eating sugar and started eating a healthy diet. I did some basic exercises every day and walked maybe a mile or a mile and a half.

I'm down to 190, no issues with the diabetes at all. My blood sugar is completely under control and rarely gets above 125, even after eating.

It doesn't take a lot of effort. The mental aspect is harder than the physical.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Approximately 3500 calories in a pound of body fat.

Most adult males basal metabolic rate to maintain body weight is 2000 calories a day.

A calorie deficit of 500 calories a day will result in 1 pound of body fat weight loss per week.

Weight loss without resistance training will typically result in muscle loss.

Adult males require 1 gram of quality protein per 2 pounds of body weight to maximize resistance training.

So this has some meaning, I have been averaging 1400 calories a day with 80-90 grams of protein a day since March.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I got a slap-in-the-face diagnosis...diabetes. I was 255. I quit eating sugar and started eating a healthy diet. I did some basic exercises every day and walked maybe a mile or a mile and a half.

I'm down to 190, no issues with the diabetes at all. My blood sugar is completely under control and rarely gets above 125, even after eating.

It doesn't take a lot of effort. The mental aspect is harder than the physical.
It really is.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Approximately 3500 calories in a pound of body fat.

Most adult males basal metabolic rate to maintain body weight is 2000 calories a day.

A calorie deficit of 500 calories a day will result in 1 pound of body fat weight loss per week.

Weight loss without resistance training will typically result in muscle loss.

Adult males require 1 gram of quality protein per 2 pounds of body weight to maximize resistance training.
Agreed.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you eating? You only need one meal a day. Keep it mostly good meat.
Spinach and sprouts salad with basalmic vinegar, smoked tuna pretty regular, do beef of some sort 1-2 x a week, chicken 2-3x a week, pork including bacon maybe 2x a week, fish or shrimp once a week, I dont drink beer, dont drink soda pop of any kind, high fiber breakfast cereal 3x a week,egg breakfast sandwich on whole grain bread many mornings. Try not to overdue dairy. High protein Atkins type the best I can. I dont eat any twinkies, sticky buns, other packaged hi carb sugary crap. I probably need to eat more fruit, but alot of it taste terrible after covid.
I have not had McD, Hardly, BK, or other fast food crap in 12 years. Background in 2010, I weighed 390-405. Dropped to 280 when I was in Colorado, living at higher altitude helped me alot. Bad right knee wont let me jog, but I do some martial arts, yardwork for exercise. Dont smoke. But dont get enough exercise for sure.
I had covid a year ago, that trashed my metabolism pretty bad. Alot of food taste terrible to me nòw. I love to swim for exercise, because of covid I didnt have pool access,
but now I have post covid inner ear problems keeping me out of the water. Mý arthritis has been horrible since covid making martial arts, even tai chi hard to do.
I have "primary hyper aldosteronism" and take spironolactone for it, but it doesnt help like it used to. My metabolism is really messed up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom