Glen D. Johnson: Guns on campus: Current law is working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the past seven years, the state system of higher education has vigorously opposed legislation that would allow guns on Oklahoma’s college and university campuses. It seems we will encounter the same issue again this year.

The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, all 25 public institutions and their governing boards unanimously agree that allowing guns on campuses will create a more dangerous environment for our students, faculty, staff and visitors.

The Tulsa World, The Oklahoman and The Journal Record have printed recent editorials in agreement with higher education’s position that allowing weapons on higher education campuses is a bad idea. Recent polling data show that 64 percent of Oklahomans surveyed oppose the carrying of guns on college campuses.

We’re not alone. The International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators has stated its opposition to concealed weapons on campuses, emphasizing that there is no credible evidence to suggest that concealed weapons will make campuses safer. The group outlined grave concerns regarding the potential for accidental discharge or misuse of firearms, as well as the possibility that law enforcement responders may be unable to distinguish an active shooter from others with weapons.

Additionally, an alliance of national organizations including the American College Personnel Association, the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education and the Association for Student Conduct Administration, representing more than 50,000 administrators and educators on more than 2,000 college campuses across the country, have voiced opposition to any laws that would allow, or expand eligibility for, possession of firearms on college and university campuses by individuals other than trained law enforcement officers. Researchers from Ball State University found that 78 percent of students at 15 Midwestern campuses and 95 percent of more than 400 college presidents surveyed oppose allowing guns on campuses.

Concerns about accidental shootings are justified. Just two months after the state of Idaho began allowing certain individuals to bring concealed weapons onto college campuses, a professor with a concealed-carry permit at Idaho State University accidentally shot himself in the foot. The handgun was in the professor’s pocket when it unexpectedly fired during class in front of approximately 20 students. In a similar incident, a concealed weapon carried by a sixth-grade teacher in Utah accidentally fired on school grounds, shooting her in the leg.

Under current law, Oklahoma higher education’s campus presidents have the discretion to grant exceptions to the weapons ban when an exception is warranted.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = =

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/r...cle_d531e713-a5ab-552a-8997-82020ce74c1f.html

I'd say Johnson's presentation of the current law as working does not reflect the reality of legally enforced unarmed victim zones that are easily violated by those with evil intent. As the military says, it's a target-rich environment. I don't understand the lack of moral principles that allows such things to exist.

As to the negligent discharges cited, firearms do not "accidentally or unexpectedly fire." Somehow the trigger is activated - putting the gun in a pocket with other items without using a trigger-covering holster would be one way.

I look forward to the comments here.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gee, the political appointee ADMINISTRATORS ORGANIZATIONS are anti private guns. Big surprise!.........NOT.
Nobody asks the teachers and rank and file college employees what they think. After all, they are just the hired peons who don't know what's best for them....aren't we?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The current law prohibiting concealed carry on college campuses is "working"? I see no proof of this in the opinion article. Perhaps "working" needs to be defined. Sometime ago, there was another civil rights issue called "segregation". The majority said it was working well.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it worked wonderfully this last fall at RSU, guy shows up takes a few shots at an ex and then offs himself on campus. Not far from the campus PD, still took almost a half hour to notify students to "shelter in place".

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it worked wonderfully this last fall at RSU, guy shows up takes a few shots at an ex and then offs himself on campus. Not far from the campus PD, still took almost a half hour to notify students to "shelter in place".

A very enlightening example.

I am thinking that maintaining campus gun-free zones is also "working" to create jobs for campus psychologists who are supposedly able to intervene and prevent this sort of thing. And "working" to let campus police departments purchase more equipment. But in the RSU example it doesn't seem like either did any good. I do not have much faith in such approaches working anywhere.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The examples they cite are ADs by people that, if you look into it, probably weren't carrying in a safe manner. Also, they list it as dangerous, but nobody died and nobody was hurt except the (probable) idiot that was holding the gun. Make the penalties for ADs stiff so people thing twice before just tossing a pistol in their pocket w/o a holster and make examples of those that screw up instead of slapping people on the wrist. I'm all for it, but nobody asked me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom