Glock 19 G3 or G4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
honestly I haven't shot or held a gen4, but the 2 is mighty fine. If it improves on the 2, then go for it. Let me know how it goes. If you are not leo, then summitgun often has good prices on new/unused gen 4 glocks. I like the fingergroove less models and don't need a rail. I like the smooth rounded edges of a gen 2 gun, and carried a 17 for a long while.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own four Glock 19s; a Gen 2, a Gen 3, a Gen 2/3 (a Gen 2 slide and a stippled Gen 3 frame), and a Gen 4. I also have a Gen 3 26, a Gen 2 23, and a Gen 3 23. I'm still waiting for my first Glock malfunction.

My advice is to get both of them.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So not to hijack the thread but I recently got the 43. I love it. Fits my hand good and is a joy to carry. I however, love my 19. But since getting the 43 I have started thinking about something. I thought about selling my 19 to buy a .22 ar upper. I don't really want to get rid of it but thought, I am not going to carry both at the same time. I find carrying the 43 to be great. Sometimes with the 19 it is uncomfortable. My stomach bloats a lot so I am not able to tighten my belt as much as I need to so the 19 doesn't ride like it should. But with the 43 I don't have to worry about that. My biggest thought is to capacity. I don't love carrying a pistol that only holds 6+1. With my 19 I can carry upwards of 50 rounds with my double mag pouch. But with the 43 I can carry a maximum of about 30 with the plus 2 extensions. Is it a dumb idea to start using the 43 as my primary carry gun or should i stick to my 19? I know I am giving up rounds for comfort with the 43. And with the 19 I am gaining rounds for a heavier and less comfortable pistol. I really want a .22 upper or full .22 ar though. And I don't have the money to buy one at the moment. I know I will probably never "need" 45+ rounds but I also don't want something to happen and I run out of rounds with the 43. Stupid delimna I know. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So not to hijack the thread but I recently got the 43. I love it. Fits my hand good and is a joy to carry. I however, love my 19. But since getting the 43 I have started thinking about something. I thought about selling my 19 to buy a .22 ar upper. I don't really want to get rid of it but thought, I am not going to carry both at the same time. I find carrying the 43 to be great. Sometimes with the 19 it is uncomfortable. My stomach bloats a lot so I am not able to tighten my belt as much as I need to so the 19 doesn't ride like it should. But with the 43 I don't have to worry about that. My biggest thought is to capacity. I don't love carrying a pistol that only holds 6+1. With my 19 I can carry upwards of 50 rounds with my double mag pouch. But with the 43 I can carry a maximum of about 30 with the plus 2 extensions. Is it a dumb idea to start using the 43 as my primary carry gun or should i stick to my 19? I know I am giving up rounds for comfort with the 43. And with the 19 I am gaining rounds for a heavier and less comfortable pistol. I really want a .22 upper or full .22 ar though. And I don't have the money to buy one at the moment. I know I will probably never "need" 45+ rounds but I also don't want something to happen and I run out of rounds with the 43. Stupid delimna I know. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

First and foremost, carry something that you will carry. So that means if the 43 is comfortable, that is the one to carry. As a pistol that is not comfortable to carry, your more apt to leave it behind.

A 43 with two extra mags is right there with a fine choice of a CCW. Hell, a 43 with just one mag is too. If I wore a belt every day, 7 days a week, then sure I would carry a 19 or 26. But I don't, I wear shorts the vast majority of time when it is not just freezing cold out! So I have to carry something that does not need a belt. Sounds to me you have figure out your 43 is it for you. My son in law recently went from a 19 to the 43 and couple mags, he also made his mags and mine to hold 7 instead of 6 with no added plates or cost. Good luck on your choice, either one you speak of is good to go, just get comfy.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First and foremost, carry something that you will carry. So that means if the 43 is comfortable, that is the one to carry. As a pistol that is not comfortable to carry, your more apt to leave it behind.

A 43 with two extra mags is right there with a fine choice of a CCW. Hell, a 43 with just one mag is too.

Agreed. I've briefly handled the G43 and like its ergos and size a lot. For me the G43's strongest attraction is appendix (AIWB) carry. It is as thick a gun as I could realistically carry AIWB. (G19 is out of the picture, for me, for that role.)

On the other hand, I still think the G19 overachieves as a CCW gun. For its size, capacity, and capability, it shouldn't be as comfortably concealable as it is.

But it's a belt gun -- for me, a classic 4:00 carry gun.

If I wore a belt every day, 7 days a week, then sure I would carry a 19 or 26. But I don't, I wear shorts the vast majority of time when it is not just freezing cold out! So I have to carry something that does not need a belt. ... Good luck on your choice, either one you speak of is good to go, just get comfy.

Exactly. And "comfy" includes how it fits in with the activities in your routine, the ease and safety of removing/administrative handling (which we should do as little as possible, but all have to do sometimes) -- and so on.

PS: When it's hot, don't forget that khaki shorts will take a good gunbelt!

Latest posts

Top Bottom