Glock Sub Compacts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty simple question, but can anyone tell me if racking the slide on a G26 is harder or easier than say a sub compact XD? Reason I ask, I'm wanting to get my wife something in a sub compact and she struggles to rack the slide on my compact XD, so I started leaning away from a SC XD, but I have no personal experience with a Glock. Would like to get her something sub compact in a 9mm for her to carry. Any input is good, thanks a ton! :clap3:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the smaller autos will have a pretty stiff spring. You might want to take her over to Sports World where they carry lots of different models and try 'em out.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have both a XD SC and a glock 27 and have not noticed any difference.

I teach a woman's beginning handgun class and can tell you that a lot of women struggle with racking the slide. It is pretty simple - if a woman is strong enough than she can do it.

What I mean is that they have to already possess the strength. Three woman I have taught ride horses - they had good strength in their hands and did not have trouble racking the slides.

I had a 20 y/o woman in the class the other day and she could not rack a single gun - regardless of caliber or size. She could not even rack a .22 caliber semi.

I think you have to ask yourself - does the woman want to shoot a semi, and if so, will she work to learn how to operate it and build her strength. But a bigger question is will she keep her strength up just so she can manage a semi? I would hate for a women to depend on a semi for self defense and then not be able to work it.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might look into a slide racker. If you can find one that is kind of carry friendly (I know oxymoron) & wont' snag or get hung up on stuff. If not, maybe have one machined.
Sometimes, having a handle to grab gives you a little more leverage than just grabbing the slide.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife carries an XD9 Subcompact, for her the slide racking is a matter if technique. Instead of pulling the slide back have her hold the slide and push forward with the frame, then release the slide. Finger off the bang switch! Repeat: Finger off the bang switch! Practice without ammo until it's natural.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. We got her 'technique' down on slide racking today, and she can do it fine now. She likes the G26, and is coming around on an SW Airweight revolver. I like the idea of a revolver, because I want to be 100% sure whatever she gets goes bang, and it'd be less stressful, but she really likes the feel of the G26. We went to Sooner Guns(nice guy there) and Sports World earlier today. Need to find a place other than Tulsa Firearms that maybe rents a model out to shoot. TF is kinda pricey on everything and they apparently have a poor rep. Want her to shoot whatever we plan to get her so I know she's comfortable with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom