Going to Ft. Jackson ( CCW HELP )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im going to Ft. Jackson for 3 days staying off post in a Hotel, All the states I'm traveling through honor Oklahoma's CCW except for South Carolina. Do I lock It up at the State Line? As far as the Military Base do I notify the front gate, Not Living on base how would this work? Do I not carry on this trip at all? The last thing I wanna do is leave my weapon in the hotel room!

Please help me out, Im lost on What to do.

- James

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you are military? Do you have your weapons registered in the Provost Marshal's system?

According to the NRA's website,
SOUTH CAROLINA--South Carolina allows a loaded handgun to be secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console or closed trunk.

I would call the SC highway patrol, explain your situation, and get guidance from them. 803-896-7920

Fort Jackson is a different story. Only number I found for them is the DA Police (803) 751-5055

Fort Jackson Supplement 1 to AR 190-11 prohibits keeping privately owned weapons in vehicles, even when properly secured, while at work or while attending to other business on the installation not directly related to authorized shooting activities on the installation.

If transporting a privately owned weapon in a vehicle, it must be done in a manner prescribed by the laws of South Carolina and must be properly secured by ensuring the weapon is unloaded and that the ammunition is secured in a separate container and area of the vehicle. Pistols must be secured in a closed glove box, console or trunk compartment, or if the vehicle does not have a trunk-type compartment, preferably in a separate locked container (such as a gun case), or in a locked gun rack. In addition, carrying concealed firearms on one’s person except by military, state or federal law enforcement authorities in performance of their duties is prohibited.

I am not a lawyer, this does not constitute legal advice, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago. (pre-9/11) I used to go to army bases buying surplus and if I had my gun with me I checked it at the gate. They locked it in a lockbox at the gate and gave a receipt. Then I picked it up when I left.
Just call the base and ask.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SC does Honor Our CCW, Thanks for the number to SCHP. I had to talk to five different people because there was information that said SC did not honor OK's pemit, but I had them fax me A confirmed Piece of paper with the State List and They Do. I just have to call the base to find out now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SC does Honor Our CCW, Thanks for the number to SCHP. I had to talk to five different people because there was information that said SC did not honor OK's pemit, but I had them fax me A confirmed Piece of paper with the State List and They Do. I just have to call the base to find out now.

Some bases offer courtesy storage...hope you get lucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom