Gonna be scarce for a while...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick update...

Not gonna finish the toilet job before the Hospice girls come tomorrow (Tue), so I'm fixin' to move everything to the other end of the bathroom, so Sweetie can get her bath.

Also have to box up all the tools & parts on the bathroom counter, as it looks more like one of my workbenches at the moment. :D

And... Sweetie's sister wants to visit the following day (Wed), so maybe I can rest & recover a bit more. Lol, all to finish a 2-hr job that's going to wind up taking more than a week.

Thanks again everyone. Keep us in your thoughts & prayers.

Mac

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take care of yourself, Mac. You can't help her out if you let yourself get down. You've got some help - that's a great thing. Take advantage of it and heal thyself.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check in periodically, and a word of advice about wax toilet rings. There is a modern replacement that lasts forever. I think they are made out of silicone rubber and will never leak. I got mine at Ace Hardware.
@Mack45 mentioned the new silicon seals. I actually ordered one of those, but wasn't impressed with the sponge/foam part that keeps tension on the seal. It does have a 10-yr warranty, but it's been over 20 years since I had this toilet off the floor with a regular wax ring.
Another few words on the wax-less seals, particularly the Fluidmaster 7530P8, which is the one I ordered on Amazon.

According to reviews, if your anchor flange sits above the floor (even 1/4") then your toilet must be shimmed, because the rubber gasket won't compress enough for the toilet to sit flat on the floor.

Some actual reviews are on this page (some folks loved it, several had this problem).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluidmas...n-Wax-Universal-Wax-Free-Toilet-Seal/46707033
:drunk2:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that this is the one I used from Ace Hardware.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/toilets/toilet-repair-parts/4565776

My flange was up about a quarter inch. This sealed just fine.
Hey @Mack45,

I bought a couple of these on Amazon. Got kinda worried that I might wiggle the toilet during install, and booger up the wax ring. Am not steady/strong as I used to be. :/

But I have a quick question about how many layers to use.

Did you leave the seal where the weight of the toilet pressed down enough to sit flat on the floor? Or did you have to pull it down with the bolts a bit?

FWIW, my flange is PVC.

Thanks. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom