Got This Trailer In MY Garage...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tell me more about the grill guard and winch.

Winch mount box is made of 3/16 mild steel, mainly as protection from rough terrain, a plate to mount hooks for use with the snatch block and a step to get to the entire hood when I washed the truck (I'm fairly short). All the pieces were cut with locating tabs and it was fully welded using a MiG. It made it ungodly strong and perfectly square at the same time. the box mounted directly to the frame using 1/2" plate attachments. All the corners were gussetted. I didn't make the brush guard. It's a cheap-o E-bay special that I modified to accept the winch. winch box was bolted to the brush guard using grade 8 hardware after I powder coated it. I ended up ditching the brush guard mounts altogether so the winch box became the center member. Winch was run off a custom circuit that connected the controls to inside the cab, allowing me to power the winch and accompanying light up. It had a strip LED on it so I could run it at night. I could reel it in or let it out and gave me complete lockout control. All with two little wires. (the winch ran on it's own battery using 0 guage wire). That setup pulled many vehicles from ditches during snow storms and payed for itself.

I've had the entire front of the truck off the ground using that winch and mount. the winch as a 15,000lb ebay buy as well. Certainly not top of the line, but I used the piss out of it and it never let me down. Still haven't made a mount for the F250 that replaced that truck. Guess I need to get on that.

The winch and box were overkill on that 1/2 ton truck for sure - but I erred on the side of caution.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, most people call B.S. when I tell them about the circuit I ran the winch with.

This is the engine compartment circuit board before soldering components on
i687.photobucket.com_albums_vv234_aviator4_Electronics_20Projects_IMG_3822.jpg

This is the VFD display and controller board I used inside the truck. I used it because it matched the OEM vfd in the dash.
i687.photobucket.com_albums_vv234_aviator4_Electronics_20Projects_IMG_4371.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom