GPS advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also like the 'Audio Warning' Setting when I exceed the posted speed limit by more then 2 MPH. Great 'in town' also ....
I don't have the audio warning, but it shows my speed in red if I'm over and it shows the speed limit, which is great because you don't know what the speed limit is sometimes. Its one of my favorite things about the GPS. You ever notice how the speed limit changes right when you reach the sign? It's amazing that they do that, like they drove down the road and put it in the program, lol.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One garmin map update is $50. Lifetime map update is $90.

Definitely get one that comes with lifetime maps, there's a new one released every quarter. Lifetime map models usually only cost $10-$25 more than the plain jane version.

Traffic definitely works. First time a traffic rerouting happened to me, I was driving through Denver and the GPS suddenly wanted me to exit. I did what it said, but start wondering why I'm driving through residential areas. When I get up on top of a hill I can see the interstate backed up for miles. I think I got my money's worth that day.

I bought a refurb garmin 1690 for less than $100, which comes with 2 years of cell-based network service. You can do Google local searches (the database is much fresher and complete than the built-in Garmin POI database), and search for local gas prices. This is also how it gets traffic data in real time.

Edmond

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, Garmin is the only way to go. I've used their car GPS units as well as wrist units for patrol in Afghanistan. They have not failed me yet. Plus, I've also heard that Garmin customer service is top notch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom