Growing Number of College Grads Regret Liberal Arts Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An increasing percentage of the population appears to be turning negative on liberal arts degrees. So much so that one article in National Review is predicting the out of control costs and overwhelming liberal bias of colleges will be one of the key issues in upcoming presidential campaigns. If the author is correct a groundswell of negativity is building that politicians will capitalize upon.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
An increasing percentage of the population appears to be turning negative on liberal arts degrees. So much so that one article in National Review is predicting the out of control costs and overwhelming liberal bias of colleges will be one of the key issues in upcoming presidential campaigns. If the author is correct a groundswell of negativity is building that politicians will capitalize upon.
are you saying that liberal arts degrees and liberal bias are the same thing?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, the tired and embarrassing conservative narrative blaming "liberal arts" degrees for millennial whining. Look boys, Letters and Classics were two of the hardest degrees when I was at OU, those people got jobs, because well... they could learn anything. Several tech companies have come out and stated they'll hire these types of people because of their versatility. The problem out there today is that kids that probably shouldn't go to college, are going, when they probably should be in a trade, or out in the real world. They've been told all their lives that they need to go to college. On the flip side, I can't tell you how many "business" majors from OU I have seen fail. Most of the curriculum back then was a joke compared to other degrees. What kids need to be told is that it's ok to NOT go to college, it's ok to take up a trade, it's ok to get out in the real world and work..... just don't be complacent.

A real world example, my wife has a liberal arts degree, went through the accelerated RN program at OU, and she's now a nurse in Neuro ICU. She will probably applying for CRNA school when the program opens up at TU.

Let's stop the knuckledragging conservative narrative of blaming "leeebral arts" shall we? People make individual choices and the problem is MY generation and the ones before me. Why? Because we beat it into these kids heads that they HAVE to go to college to make something of themselves.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the extent that freedom of speech and thought is suppressed, any college environment is detrimental. To the extent that any college program promotes victimhood, it is detrimental.

Your characterization of conservatives as knuckle-draggers and rubes is likewise detrimental. You might want to make your arguments in a less condescending manner.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people are taking this personally. Especially those who have suceeded. Like JD8's wife. She went beyond her liberal arts degree and I suspect realized the need for additional education to make herself marketable or get a job she's passionate about.

The problem is the expectations being set by these colleges that any student will graduate with a six figure income working a part time job.

Get a grip liberals and quit lowering yourself to name calling. This seems to be a common direction you liberals tend to take things.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" She went beyond her liberal arts degree and I suspect realized the need for additional education to make herself marketable or get a job she's passionate about. "

This is what everybody needs to learn. You have to make yourself marketable. What can I offer an employer that the guy next to me can't? I
didn't go to college, instead went to a tech school and became an electrician. Made a damn good living for over 40 yrs. I actually had a guy tell me one time there was no need to go to school because any fool could run conduit and pull wires. He couldn't answer me when I handed him the prints and said explain how and where to terminate wires. He's probably still picking up trash. Some people need to learn regardless of what Bernie Sanders says, you aren't owed anything.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dale, I'm not here to cater to feelings. I wholeheartedly believe what I said and since this boards has a semi-hostile of education in general, I'll stand by what I said. Use the ignore function if needed. Otherwise, please cite specific real world examples of what you speak, here in Oklahoma. Show me how oppressive OSU, OU, OCU, TU, UCO, etc are in their day to day logistics, policies, and curriculum? Don't want anecdotes, I want something I can reference.

Slugslinger, Nothing was taken personal. I just never experienced anything like you speak of here in Oklahoma. Now, could you point me where liberal arts departments are listing 100K jobs? Never seen anything of the like in the real world. Conservative media? Sure. It's nearly as bad as the "leebral" media. However, where's this so called pressure by colleges to funnel people through certain degrees with promises?

Blaming the colleges is as bad as the person whining about not having a job, blaming someone else for their life choices, IMO. I blame the kids, and in part, blame the parents.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blaming the colleges is as bad as the person whining about not having a job, blaming someone else for their life choices, IMO. I blame the kids, and in part, blame the parents.

Show me where these kids/students get the idea that you can make a living or at least that it provide everything they want in life, with a liberal arts degree. It's put in their mind by someone, the parents, the media, who? The colleges promote it, just search yahoo for liberal arts degree regret. The liberal media and liberal arts universities are promoting it to the hilt. These colleges will say about anything to keep enrollment and funding, whether true or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom